OT<>

Page 1 of 9
Anybody have any good info on them? Which is better and so on. Would like opinion based on fact not supposition. tia
Roy

I know that Diesel Power had a comparision/write up about them, comparing them to diesels. I think I still have it, so if you want, I can get you some info out of there. From reading it though, Toyota has the market cornered with hybirds, with the Prius, Highlander and Camary. Not say there are not others, but the Toy's seem to have gotten the best comments, efficiency and are true hybrids, not flex fuel or "cross over" vehicles.
Roy wrote:

Toyota has the best reviews but Honda is cheaper and good quality.
But I really do not see the purpose of the hybrids. They command a hefty premium in price that will never be recouped from gas savings.

And, resale will be absolutely horrid when they reach the end of the typical battery life. Based upon the current state of the art, I would avoid hybrids like the plague... Toyota will soon find that paybacks are hell....
JMHO
Mike

Seems like they are like a bic lighter. After the 100,000 miles or 8 year battery warranty runs out ya throw them away.

too. When it's time to replace the batteries, you're gonna cry. I'm not sold on the hybrids quite yet but give them a few more years and they may be ok.
Denny

I've been doing a bunch of reading on them. Seems that the deal on the batteries isn't what it use to be. Under 2K for a replacement. Toyota warranty is for 100K or 8 years. 40mpg is nothing to sneeze at. For me, it would be a saving just to use regular gas. Took a Toyota Camry hybrid for a spin yesterday.it accelerated and changed lanes on the highway like the wifes Magnum V6. I was impressed with it.
Roy

So, does that mean we can start calling you a wabbit loving tree hugger!! <bg>

No, you can call me a guy that is having a hard time justifying a 425+ HP car to drive a couple of miles to the beach. I bought Charger with the thought that I'd be making the trip from FL to MA a few times a year for a number of years. Now with the wife deciding to move totally to FL that won't be happening. Also I like toys. If it isn't going to be driven a bunch the Charger ceases to be a toy. So a transportation type car is in order.
As far as loving a rabbit and hugging a tree goes, well. the rabbit is something only a mother could love. I figure his wife is a frustrated social worker. <BFG>

Denny

I couldn't get my arm's around ya! <VBG>
Roy

Sounds like a group hug is needed! <g>

<BG>
Denny

Denny

I think the only tree Roy is gonna hug is the one the wabbit is hanging in, Larry...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Bro, it would take a chain fall to lift that fat assed rabbit of the ground
Roy
Roy wrote:

The cost savings just isn't there. A Honda Civic DX is $16000 and gets 30mpg city. A Honda Civic Hybrid is $23000 and gets 50mpg city. Lets say someone drives well over the national average at 20,000 miles per year.
20000/30 * $3/gallon = $2000
20000/50 * $3/gallon = $1200
A savings of $800/year. It would take 8.75 years to make up for the higher price of the hybrid. Thats not even counting the difference in tax on the two cars which where I live would be $7000 * 8% sales tax $560 more. Furthermore most people don't drive 20,000 miles a year (I do) so it would be even worse for many.

Not to think of the couple of grand for new batteries if you keep it that long....
Denny

You may very well be correct. I guess it is how you look at it and what you are comfortable with. I'll be moving from a car that get's 17-19 on the highway and around 15 in the city. Also it requires premium fuel. So until the dust settles from the move and I know exactly where we are at, it looks pretty good.
Roy wrote:

People are interested in mpg for one reason. To save money. But if the higher mpg cars cost more than the gas savings then its simply not economical no matter how high the mpg of they hybrid. So far in almost all cases a 100% gas economy car is a better deal if the reason for buying is to save money. Hybrids don't save money.