RE:Start car w/ no tranny on it

Hi i have a 67 coupe 289 auto, and i think my tranny is f .u'd , i just rebuilt the entire motor and want to start it without the tranny installed , what is the best way to do this .im thinking mount the
bellhousing and starter only. Any tips or tricks you know of? also i need to replace all of the drivers side lug studs, whats the best way to remove the entire hub assembly , do i need to remove the entire axle? thanks from a backyard mechanic danno

best
axle?
In the days of yore we used to run engines on the garage floor, chained of course, to prove to the customers the engine would run. You should be able to run your carbureted engine in the car. Support the rear of the engine, otherwise you might break a motor mount and I would remove the torque converter or clutch/pressure plate to avoid surprises.
You should be able to punch the studs out with the axle on the car, make a sleeve and a lugnut to pull the new studs into the axle.
Bill
67 coupe -- sure start the engine without a tranny -- just make sure the back of the engine is supported well -- Very well -- I used to get 2 jack stands take abar or 2x4 across back of engine with jack stands on each side to support it then crank . As for ur studs safest way is to pull the axles- since its 67 - u should have bearings redone anyway -- have studs pressed out and new pressed in-- just loosen the 4 bolts to back plate put drum on in reverse- put lug nuts back on and quickly pull the drum towards u it should be enough that u see the axle plate move out -- this way will also make sure that u dont use the standard axle puller which people seem to use to hard and pull the axle so far out so quickly that after it exits the housing it falls to to the ground and damages the splines (gears) at the end