DIY Hatch Glass

Hondarinos,
I was spending a pleasant afternoon at my folks' house installing my new suspension kit and everything was going great, finished up the front and was
raising the rear when I hear a BOOM and glass cascading down!!! My car was a bumper length sticking out of the garage and the hatch was up, the rear wiper levered against the top of the garage and the rest was history. So after the shock and the 36 syllable hybrid curse that left my mouth I had a beer and finished up.
I want to order the glass and miscellanea and install it myself. I've looked at the FSM and it looks pretty doable. Any gotchas with this? Is the adhesive difficult to work with and easily obtainable? Are the suction cups readily available and affordable? My insurance deductible is 500 and I don't think I have a glass clause. After some of the stuff I've read and a news report about shoddy workmanship, I'd rather try it myself. I love my car and would rather keep it away from unloving hands unless I absolutely need to. Thanks.
Marco

the glass is tempered and needs to be protected from sudden temperature changes or it will go BOOM before you even get it installed. You don't have to baby it, but if it is very hot from being in the sun or in the closed car and you bring it into a cool house or spray it with glass cleaner it might take offense.
Mike
MAT wrote:

You can find an assortment of suction cups at http://tinyurl.com/bysuz . However, keep in mind that you might be able to find a better price through different sources such as http://www.etoolcart.com /.
Eric

Harbor Freight sells them for $5 USD,IIRC.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
MAT wrote:

Are you confidant about installing it without leaks? I'd get at least a couple of quotes from auto glass places before trying this one.
YMMV, of course.

I would go to a glass company and pay them to replace the glass. That way it is covered by a warranty (if it leaks or breaks). It's far easier to do it that way than to risk breaking the glass before you complete the DIY installation, and there are no tools to purchase. Not to mention no cleanup.
Brian
MAT wrote:

the glass in, it would be relatively easy to do it yourself. but in this case, it's quite a tricky process. unless you have access to the tools & adhesives necessary for this job, and the window sealant sold at auto supply stores isn't up to it, then i suggest having the glass shop do it. there's not much i won't do on a car myself, but certain jobs are best left to those set up to do them properly. paint, alignment, tires & [honda] glass are on that list.
Now that I've slept on it, I've placed a claim with insurance and will handle it that way. My comprehensive deductable is 250, not as bad as the 500 collision deductable. Thanks for the advise. What a bonehead move it was that day. How utterly frustrating and embarassing more than anything!
MAT said

I wouldn't place a claim with insurance - it could come back to haunt you. How much over the $250 is the replacement going to cost?
Two of the most common words found in insurance non-renewal notices - "claims frequency".
You're better off paying minor things out of your pocket and only filing claims for the big things.
Casey

Yes I was worried about this and am of the frame of mind of keeping the insurance out of it. I did some research and typically glass claims are PERCEIVED to be OK and are not supposed to increase rates. Regarding the claims frequency, in 13 years of driving, I have never filed an insurance claim and am hoping that I will be OK with this one.
Just as a note, I made the calls this morning and everything was pretty straighforward. As an afterthought, I wondered if the glass company I chose would use OEM or aftermarket glass since I didn't specify. So I called just now and the glass they ordered was not OEM, but PPG which I understand is pretty decent. I inisisted on OEM glass and they called back and said no problem, it will just be an extra 3 days to actually get the piece. I decided to wait.
MAT wrote:

MAT said

Back years ago, I filed a glass breakage claim and another one because someone keyed the side of my car. Then I proceeded to have a wreck, and followed that up a year later with another one.
I got a non-renewal notice with "claims frequency" as the reason. I had some long phone calls and ended up with the people that make those decisions. Her first words were, you've had 4 claims in the last two years.
Without the wrecks, I would have been fine. The problem is that if something serious happens after the comprehensive claim, the small claim may hurt you at some point.
The glass claim by itself shouldn't cause any problems at all.
Casey

FYI....PPG is the OEM supplier for American made Hondas. Your insurance carrier may not pay the increased cost of ASAHI branded glass (the Japanese mfg OEM glass supplier) as many insurance carriers try to manage their costs with glass replacement. This will have absolutely no effect on your cost of insurance either.

Thanks for the info. My car, a 7th gen hatchback is sort of oddball when it comes to non-mechanical parts, in the case of the glass, the rear was Splintex and the sides and roof, Sekurit.
Like my uncle once said, "Anybody who's never been caught never has done anything."
snipped-for-privacy@attglobal.net wrote:

Those are words to remember!