I have owned my 90 TD5 CSW for about a year and have started thinking. It's too small for its size, but I have always thought a 110 is too big for every day use. I now have little room for people or luggage in my 90 and inward facing seats are not so practical. I am thinking of getting a 110 CSW or possibly a double cab, but more likely a CSW. I would like to have some opinions from people who have made this transition. I am mostly thinking of everyday driving , roads, parking etc. My choices are strictly limited to a 90 or a 110 Defender, this is my narrow mind talking.

Regards JJ

Reply to
JJ

On or around 2 Mar 2004 17:47:18 -0600, "JJ" enlightened us thusly:

well, I like the 110 CSW, meself. Worth investing in wider wheels which sit an inch or two further off the hubs, makes a world of difference to the manoeuvrability of the beast, after you modify the lock stops that is. It's not too bad as standard, much better than a 109.

Although the logical step up from a 90 if that's too small is a disco, of course. much more useable space. But then again, a disco is almost identical overall length to a 110, so if parking etc bothers you, then there's no advantage. Standard disco doesn't turn any better than my 110 with the above mods.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Twas 2 Mar 2004 17:47:18 -0600 when "JJ" put finger to keyboard producing:

I have a 110 CSW and drive it every day, I also live in Cornwall where the roads are narrow and the parking is tight, I have no problems (though I'm thinking of fitting parking radar to help reversing up close, I need every inch).

Power steering is a must, though I used to have a 110 without it and once my muscles were up to the job it wasn't a problem, just soooo much easier with PS.

One thing to note, my kids fit fine in the second row seat but it'd be rather cose trying to fit tall folk in there, I've tried it myself (I'm 6'4") and I'm glad I'm the driver.

generally speaking though, I drive it every day on narrow cornish roads, I park both in regular car parks and in the free-for-all bumper-to-bumper that is the lane by my house. Glance here if you will..

would normally be another car behind mine there and similardistance in front.

I'd say the advantage of the CSW over the double cab is useable space, I can get myself and my wife, our 5 kids (including two adult size), 2 dogs and all our camping gear in, could not do that with a double cab as ther are 6 seats maximum.

Go borrow one from your local Land Rover dealer, drive it home and park it, try it on for size.

If you live near me you could try mine.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

We have a 110 CSW for every day use, won't swap it for anything else, parking, with the wheels on each corner I can slot it into parking bays / road side slots no problem, only possible issue is with roof rack on can't get under some height barriers (but this would also apply to a

90), takes five of us + dog camping equipment etc., I have to admit we have replaced the three back seats with high backs with head rests, our five year old loves the middle back seat using a booster cushion and a 4 point rally harness - great view out the side and front.

In the back we have removed the near side bench seat and replaced it with a removable forward facing seat that has been used twice in 4 years, we have a floor to roof dog guard, and I have made an easily removable wooden floor that spans across the load space resting on the top of the wheel arch's, this gives us a really good storage space underneath that is out of site, but then had to make a portable ramp so the dog could get in and out !! (amazing what you can do with old tent poles, fireguard mesh and jubilee clips.)

Only other really annoying point is that all other drivers see a L/R and assume that it slow even when we are doing 60 on normal roads.

Ta

John

110 200Tdi CSW
Reply to
John

I have been driving my 110 now for about eleven years, so I am well used to it. I have been using it as my daily driver for about ten years, and do trips of 1000km in one day several times a year. It is large compared to most cars, but is the same size as many light commercial vehicles, and I find few parking locations that are a problem, although certainly you have to drive more accurately than with a smaller car. For the same engine you will find performance is a little worse than your 90, but I doubt you will really notice the difference empty, although you might when fully loaded. The 110 will be slightly higher than the 90, (standard tyres are slightly larger, springs stiffer) so this may present some unexpected problems with overhead clearance, but again, the difference is very small. The centre row seats are not particularly comfortable, depending on your size and shape, but the ride is better than the 90. Hope this helps, JD

Reply to
JD

I got a 110 CSW for relocating myself and my girlfriend to france. Fantastic to be able to move all our stuff without the need of a trailer. Now that I have it I wouldn't change it for anythig else.

Mine has the rear seats removed. Folding the 2nd row seats don't increase the load space much and I find it just as easy to load stuff onto the seats /floor as-is. Round town and parking is fine most of the time. I reckon having a commanding driving position offsets the size of the beast.

Having the spare wheel on the roof (because the rear door is falling apart) helps the view out the back window a bit but there are times I could do with a rear mounted mirror or parking sensor to avoid cracking bumbers with the tow bar or spearing a pedestrian with the empty spare wheel carrier!

The only real problem as Austin mentioned is the turning circle. Parking into a perpendicular parking bay on the same side of the road involves a big swing in or a 3 pointer - much to the anoyance of the local crazy drivers as they try to drive behind me while I'm reversing.

I say go for it!

Regards G

Reply to
Gromit

People say I am a little short for my height too.

;-)

Rich

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Twas Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:41:01 +0100 when "Gromit" put finger to keyboard producing:

I have the same rear door problem, though I intend putting the spare back on the door if/when I get a new door. I'm planning parking radar though too.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:19:12 +0000 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

I'd like a second spare on the bonnet, did you use a proper mounting kit? if so where did you get it? Or is it as good to use hook bolts and ratchet straps?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Yes me too, would'nt have anything else.

As a Foster Parent I got 8 kids and this is what I use for everyday use:

I had a 1988 110 CSW and loved it so much my missus bought me this one. It's a year old this month and the excitement of driving it is still the same as when I first picked it up from the dealer. In fact I got the same thrill driving the old 110 as I do this one.

It's not too big, fits all the kids in and pulls my caravan a treat. The extra 20 inches makes all the difference so go for it.

Tony.

Reply to
Tony Boom

Twas Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:14:40 +0000 when Tony Boom put finger to keyboard producing:

That's a beauty Tony ;o)

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Thank you very much.

It's better than that now, I've had a nudge bar fitted to the front. Not the round illegal steel ones, the square profile padded genuine LR part.

This is the old one I had before

Thought about a nice set of spots but my Missus want's some fancy safety tow bar fitted to the the caravan. We're off to Cornwall for our holiday this summer. I'm dead nervous about it as we only bought the caravan last September and the furthest I've towed is 20 miles. Wish I'd paid more attention to my Dad when I was young, towing the van all over Europe and all I did was sleep on the back seat till we got there :)

Incidentaly, the roof rack and ladder on the old one is still in my garden unused if anyone want's to make an offer :)

Reply to
Tony Boom

Ooops. bit of a typo there

Tony Boom

Twas Wed, 3 Mar 2004 17:33:14 +0000 when Tony Boom put finger to keyboard producing:

That's rather sexy.

I live in Cornwall, give us a wave if you see us about

I could use a full-length roof rack.... where are you?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Peterborough! And it's a bit too big to email it to you :)

Reply to
Tony Boom

On or around Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:32:35 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

nah, I used the one from the back door.

Spose ideally you'd buy the new posh one-piece back door with disco-stylee wheel holder, then you could put the ex-back-door one on the bonnet.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:14:40 +0000, Tony Boom enlightened us thusly:

One thing I like about it compared with the disco is it handles better.

the 110 can be seriously hustled on bendy A roads, provided yer tyres are right for it.

best road tyres I had on it were Pirelli Scorpion AT, wear a bit fast, not much good off-road, but boy do they grip on wet tarmac. Nankangs now, better in mud but not quite so good on road.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Twas Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:33:41 +0000 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

Posh? POSH? what kind of talk is that? I may yet be tying it down with baleing twine!

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:18:35 +0000 when Tony Boom put finger to keyboard producing:

£10-£20 for a courier?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:38:51 +0000 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

or the cross-plies I've got, great in the mud but got to take it really easy on the wet roads, that back end likes to come out...

I used to run Michelin xzy when I was driving through europe alot, I'll have them again as soon as I can afford them.