Started the axle strip down...

On or around Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:59:31 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

I'd have thought they were the same as RR parts.

oh, and how TF are there 6? or are you doing 2 motors?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

101's also have steering relays ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Well thought it best to continue here... the threads go so wide I need a twin screen set up just to follow it ;-)

Anyway, today I fitted the pinion back in the axle case.. The Radius of the shaft was one and a half inch so I have wound it up to read 25 lb pull to rotate the shaft using strimmer chord wrapped around a couple of times, this equates to around 40 lbf in.

I've spent most of the day running around for bits for tools and building tools which is no fun when your dodging showers and takes way longer than I imagined, cutting welding drilling and filing.... still very rewarding (note to self - Hide tools well from Steve's Dad ;-) )

I rebuilt the prop flange stay putting an arm on to both sides so not it as

4 bolt holes not just 2...

I finished the spreader.. it looks like some sort of medevil torture implement however it works :-) .... well, it fit's yet to use it in anger. (0.30 mm)

I also made an arm for the dial guage so that I can bolt it to one side of the diff case to measure the spread. I'll need to make a shorter one to check the diff backlash and set up the shimms for correction of the preload. Getting there now... I feel I've turned a corner having made the tools at least.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Probably teaching grandmothers here, but taper roller bearings can take a bit of "settling down" so make sure you have spun the pinion several (lots) of times before taking your rolling resistance measurements.

Something to do with the tapers finding their correct orientation / alignment with the inner and outer races, I suspect.

Apologies if stating the obvious.

David

Reply to
rads

rads uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yep , spun it to the extent the neighbours were waiting for me to start going "brum brum.....vrrrrrrrrr warble warble" ;-)

Though all input is appreciated so no appolgy necessary. I certainly don't want to be resetting it on the side of the M5 in a few weeks time.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D