chrysler 2.5 head crack

The car is a 1994 acclaim, 2.5 litre original engine, with about 150km. I've decided to rebuild the engine because of increasing oil consumption, reduced power and gas mileage, and a coolant leak to cylinder # 1.

The exhaust valve guides all seemed to have slipped down into the cylinder by as much as 0.3 inches. Is this cause by engine overheating? Can the valve guides be pressed back into position? Is there something I should do to prevent this problem on the rebuilt engine?

Also, I've noticed there is a small crack between the exhaust valve seat and the intake valve seat of each cylinder. Should I weld these cracks, replace the heads, or leave them as is?

Any advice would be appreciated.

David

Reply to
nawks

Find a local competent machine shop that does a lot of automotive heads and get there opinion. They will be able to tell you what is possible and what is not. Many salvage yards also carry lines of rebuilt heads from a major rebuilder. price both out and see which is the most economical way to go.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

"nawks" wrote

You've compared the valve guide position to ones in a new head? I don't recall the 2.5's having much of a problem with dropping valve guides.

If you have a machine shop look at them, you will probably get a variety of answers. Pretty much every 2.2 or 2.5 engine I have ever had apart, has those cracks between the valve seats. I've been told that it's fairly normal, and in most cases doesn't pose a problem. Eventually, if the crack gets too large, sometimes the seat will become loose in the cylinder head and the seat will drop out of the head. This usually results in the rocker arm being thrown out from between the cam and valve.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai