tyre pressure

Hi,

every how long should I check my tyre pressures (brand new car). Some one told me every week and the dealer said once a month

Reply to
The Messiah

My tyres get checked when the car goes for a service (every 6-12 months), I presume. Other than that I just eyeball them when I approach the car. They're the original tyres and still going strong after 47,000 miles. Tread wear is pretty even and I still have 3mm at the shallowest point.

Reply to
Tiny Tim

I do mine once a month and hardly ever have to put any air in. But also this keeps me in touch with what's going on with tyre wear.

Dave

Reply to
Funkman

Every week until you know you are not losing pressure. With a brand new car, if you lose pressue you might be able to get a tyre out of them! I always do this when I have new tyres as well, in case of a slight leak or whatever.

And don't forget the spare - take it out of the car and check it - I recently bought a used NetwrokQ car from a VX garage - took out the spare, which was unused, but there was a trim clip embedded in the side! Replaced no quibbles.

Reply to
R. Murphy

every time you go to fill it up with the go go juice

Reply to
dojj

Blimey. Got nothing better to do with your time?

Reply to
Scott M

Low tyre pressure not only can cause uneven wear but is dangerous in that it can affect the handling of the car. It's also against the law, subject to a fine of £2500 per tyre. Checking tyre pressures at a garage is a bad idea as the tyres will probably be warm, and also garage pressure gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Pressures should always be checked cold and preferably not in sunlight.

Pressure measuring valve caps are available for around £3.50 a wheel. These give a constant indication of pressure in the form of three colours.

Have a look at:

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Every week regardless. The wear pattern can also tell you if you've got worn shocks or there is something wrong with the suspension/steering alignment.

Reply to
Conor

It's called good motoring. I check the tyres on my wagon every day at the start of the shift and also check the tyres on every trailer I pick up.

Reply to
Conor

Car tyres don't take the weight lorry tyres do. Anyway, I'm not saying don't check them, but every fuel stop is ridiculous. A few psi down won't cause any harm.

Reply to
Scott M

The OP asked how often to check *pressure*. I said I got mine done at service intervals.

Given that I check my tread on a far more frequent basis, I can not only tell whether I have a tracking or suspension problem, but also if I may have a pressure problem. If I saw the edges or centre of the tyre wearing then of course I would take appropriate action. I just don't see the need to systematically remove each dustcap, apply a little pressure guage and then do everything up again more often than six-monthly, unless there is a problem indicated elsewhere.

Get off your soapbox and learn to pay more attention to what is being written.

Reply to
Tiny Tim

Ideally every week, but atleast monthly

I check mine every month along with all the other stuff such as oil, water, brake fluid levels etc. Last time I checked my tyres I noticed excessive wear on it which following some replies to my post have concluded is at best a tracking fault or at worst a suspension problem.

Given that I noticed it on my monthly check it must be quite bad to waer down that rapidly. If I'd waited a year between checks, like someone else who posted here, I could easily risk a blow out with much more serious consequences.

My car is in for MOT this week so I will get the tracking problem fixed then.

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

Probably not, but you'll be back for more go-go juice quicker! It only takes

2 minutes so why bother to take the risk?
Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

Reply to
R. Murphy

Reply to
Tiny Tim

I assume you mean me. I check my tread regularly - probably once every 1-2 months. I do not bother with pressure so often. The title of this thread and the OP's enquiry was about pressure checking - not tread checking.

I used to cover about 20,000 miles per annum until 18 months ago. These days I do less than 5,000. I think I can afford to be reasonably relaxed about the frequency of my checks. Some people can't manage 10,000 miles out of the front pair of tyres. I've never had less than 30,000-35,000 out of a set. As I said in my earlier reply my current set are still showing an even 3mm after 47,000 miles, and rotated at each service. These are the original tyres on a car 3.5 years old. Nearly all my mileage is motorway or dual carriageway. I'm the only driver and I've never kerbed the car or hit a bad pothole so I remain confident that I am on top of my own tyre safety. If I get a puncture I will see/feel the result, before it becomes a safety issue without needing to resort to frequent pressure checks.

Reply to
Tiny Tim

Well ultimately it's your choice. Personally for the sake of 2 minutes a month and my own peace of mind, I don't take the risk.

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

Dave

Reply to
David

Odd tyre wear can creep up on you unnoticed.

What I tend to do is a check every few weeks on the tread depth, at the center and at about the edges of the tyre, and compare results with last time, using a new tyre as a baseline (or of course the tyres when they were new.) That way you can see whats happening and predict tyre life etc. Maybe a bit OTT but I've found it useful - spotted my own pressure gage going faulty of all things, tyres wearing more quickly than usual at the edges etc.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Reply to
dojj