A what's it worth post

1993ish Mitsubshi Pajero, Black, dark leather, dark tints, Alloys, spare on boot door, no bull/light bars but the drillings are in the bumper.

For those with lookup access, Reg is K260BVM. Parked outside Tuff Gong recording studio in Warrington, and I'm sure it has been there for at least a year day and night and originally had a =A33995 price ticket up. Then =A32995

Body/Glass/Tyres look solid enough, wheels clean. I'm sure yesterday it said =A3995 so I had a sniff round Today though, going back for another look it has gone back upto =A31250

Tax disc in window says 2007, but looking online not due until Feb

2010 so possibly has some ticket.

I fancy something to play with but don't want to spend silly. Looks tidy, I know PeteM doesn't like them but they are reliable and not qute as prone to rot as a Rangie, and not as dear for a decent rangie either. Yes I know the 2.5td is glacial, but that isn't the point of an offroader. Also engine will run on most heavy oils, so not so prone to having to run the pricey stuff between LPG stations.

And no I'm not flogging the Lexus. This would be a play/project thing, despite the decent looking body.

I don't want book prices, I'm after real experience prices. Good ticket price? No ticket price? What breaks on them?

Fuel cost/consumption wouldn't be as much an issue as normal because I wouldn't be using it daily just the odd fun drive and something to tinker with.

It is debadged and fitted with UK Bumper/Plate so looks like a Shogun rather than a Pajero.

Reply to
carl.robson

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Hmm. That plate doesn't come back to a Mitsu on a tax disc check, but are you sure it's taxed not SORNed until 2010? Why would anybody have a 2yr expired tax disk in the window if it's currently taxed?

Reply to
Adrian

I found that. Like a lot of imports, it is listed as Make: Mitsubishi Pajero Model:

Type it in rather than selecting from the drop down. Maybe he doesn't want the disc nicking. It is parked on the open but private shared carpark for the studio.

Reply to
carl.robson

More like he's planning to send the tax back once its sold.

Reply to
JackH

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Ah.

Umm, it's SORNed. Not taxed. Oh, and UK-reg in 2000.

Oh, and it's not insured, either.

Reply to
Adrian

Pikey wheels, then.

What a shocker.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I've got no problem with imports, either parallel-when-new or used. But then, I'm not one of these people who gets hung up about history (previous owners, mileage, history etc) - what you're looking at in front of you is what you're buying. Anything else just gives you some pointers as to what you're looking at.

Next question I'd be asking, though, is "Any MOT? If not, why not?"

Reply to
Adrian

No carl, just no! I'm totally sure you could get a decent 4x4 for a grand with tax and test. But WHY would you bother?

Reply to
SPAMMEIFYOULIKEBUTIWONTREADIT

Sometimes I want something to play with. Have a tinker, get my hands dirty, simple enough to fix.

That kind of stuff. Miss having a car that can be fixed with proper tools, but I'm not sure I could live with not having it ready for a Monday for work (got lucky in the past, but didn't get to brave).

I really enjoyed tinkering, and pulling stuff apart, but there was always the "What if I can't fix it" or "Bugger, why did that have to snap on a Sunday at 3.30pm" moment

If it is a second car and a fun car, no problem.

Reply to
carl.robson

I noticed it wasn't insured. Miss read the page about tax status.

Probably no ticket either then. In that case he is getting very brave asking =A3995, never mind the =A31250 he has put it upto.

What he has there is a skip with it's own means of being delivered to the yard if you aren't to fussy about the legality.

Reply to
carl.robson

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 14:39:43 -0700, carl.robson spouted forth:

Heh. There is a problem if you don't have to get it ready for Monday morning. fuckitilldoitnextweekendinsteaditis. Then, you spot another "interesting" motor and forget about the first.. and end up with a driveway full of unuseable shit. Or is that just me?

You're lucky you don't have the space ;-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

You're nuts, off-roaders are wobbly, slow and ruinous to drive and if its in very good nick with tax and test I'd pay up to £1200 for it. A bit less if things like the aircon don't work.

I spotted a few completely rotten chassised Shogun/Pajero things of this sort of age on my quest for a 4x4 earlier in the year. Holes in the legs around the rear wheels etc.

Any agricultural auctions near you? You almost can't give stuff like this away at the ones round here.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Sounds familiar....

Reply to
AstraVanMann

If you're wanting a 4x4 get a Defender. This one needs a bit of tinkering:

Abo

I could knock something up out of plywood.

Reply to
carl.robson

Fast isn't everything. Slow and wobbly can be a real hoot, as long as trying it won't kill you (the rangie was getting that way). The jeep at work is evil, manky, disgusting and slow, but I feel so chilled when driving it, and usually end up heavily exceeding the speed limit until a corner comes up (Gradual slow creep of speed increase with a lazy motor and auto box). Gunning the engine sounds fabulous but usually means you just go knowhere slow.

Reply to
carl.robson

Whenever SWMBO starts looking at posher older houses on rightmove etc, she will call me over, and usually one of the first things I will say is "oooooh, would get a couple of projects on there". She usually moves on quickly.

Reply to
Elder

You don't have to tell me that fast isn't everything. (c:

However, slow and grippy is fine, as is slow and good handling. Slow and wobbly is to be avoided.

I like driving anything, but I wouldn't buy a Pajero just so I could drive in straightish lines at high speeds.

Whatever you do, find an insurer that doesn't penalise you too much for changing car, that way you can change your mind come what may and keep your grand or so invested in a plaything.

Eventually you'll realise that an MX-5 is the one true car.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

No ticket price is £350, full ticket and serviced it's possibly worth £850. Maybe a grand if you /really/ want one.

Cylinder heads crack and turbos fail on the diesels. V6 ones are almost reliable.

Tuff Gong.. Dub Syndicate used to record there, I like Dub Syndicate. I wouldn't want an ex-Dub Syndicate Mitsubishi Wanker though.

Bonus.

Reply to
Pete M

He's right you know. Currently trying to generate a method by which I can get me one. An unmolested MK1 UK car in Red would be my choice. Preferably from the first year of production.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle