OT: Message from Dan

I was getting a bit worried about the lad yesterday, so posted a message on his facebook page.

Here's the reply:

'Hi there everyone

Just to firstly explain, this is Dan's friend Andy Shepherd writing to you on behalf of Dan. He has asked me to give you all a quick message to update you on his condition of late.

As most of you are aware in May last year Dan was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and has sadly been in a declining state ever since. At the moment, specifically over the past week or so Dan's condition has declined very quickly, to the point where he is now sedated all of the time at home to stop him feeling ill. He is in no pain at all, and is waking up for small intervals to chat to people around - his personality still shines through despite the heavy sedation and he very much remains the same Dan we all know and love. He is however becoming conscious of the fact this his time is drawing thin and the inevitable is now not very far away.

He has asked me to pass on his respect to you all, wishing you all the very best in everything you do. If you would like to leave a wall message on his facebook page, please feel free ? these can be passed on to him.

Also, if there is anyone missing from his current friend list can you please pass this message on to all that may want to know.

Thanks

Andy, on behalf of Dan. '

Personally, I really can't say much more, only that I hope he doesn't suffer too much during these next few days / weeks.

Reply to
SteveH

Agreed.

My thoughts are with him and his family, bless him.

:-(

Reply to
JackH

Good to hear from him, even if its not particularly good news.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Very much AOL. We'll be missing him.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 21:42:01 +0100, SteveH spouted forth:

Agreed. Thanks for posting that Steve.

My thoughts are with Dan and his family at this difficult time

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Here too - he's a core part of this community and is being missed already.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Fly high, ride low, Clio V6

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Fuck sake :(

Reply to
Abo

Yeah very bad news :(((

If anyone wants his personal website it's

And his site for the big sandwich he made

A truly nice guy......

Ryan

Reply to
Ronny

Bugger, sorry to hear it. I'm not on his FB friends list. If someone can say Hi, and I'm glad to hear he's floating on that famous pink cloud of drugs I'll be grateful. OTOH if anyone wants to let me know how to get onto his friends list that would also be handy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

agreed, it's gutting to know. it's hard for me to think he is around my age (bit younger by a year or 2 I think) I'm glad he got to do things like his lil road trip and own a suicide machine like a V6 clio. he really has made the most of what he had left and sometimes I think I should be doing the same. ok so i've probably got years left in me but part of being human is not knowing how long you have. so make the most of what you have people and stop thinking bout things you don't have for a second.

I have to say I'll miss Dan because now and again he took my side in an argument. despite his horrible addiction to liking French tat he did appreciate my MR2 and most things jap which to me makes him a good bloke. I remember chatting to Dan last year on MSN and thinking 'I should do more in my life, stop talking bout things and do things' that's why I promised myself that in 2009 that I'd do 3 things, make new friends, and start something new. I've been doing kick boxing (muay thai to be exact) twice to three times a week now for just over a month (hence my lack of posts here lately) and I've also taken up running to improve my fitness. I'm hoping to eventually get to competition standard and to one day earn a trophy.

I also started to talk to a few new people I see every week down the pub, I've been to 2 birthdays and been invited out on other nights out with a few of them.

took me till now to realize it was Dan that gave me the push and the thought to do all that and I'm glad he did. I've a great group of friends and the kick boxing has boosted my physical fitness and made me feel a million times better overall.

sorry guys I've really dragged this out into a Dan style post which I guess is probably appropriate, I just want to end with thanks Dan, thanks for making me realize that I should be getting out more and for giving me something to read on here on nights I couldn't sleep :) cheers dude and remember it aint over till the flat bloke sings so hold in there mate you aint ready yet! you tell them up there when your coming not the other way round, keep fighting!

as my old sifu used to say 'a black belt is a white belt that never quit' and Dan your a black belt to us!

Reply to
Vamp

Buggeration, I'm not on his FB list so I didn't get to the see the update. Good kid going too soon.

Reply to
carl.robson

Heh I was looking at that sandwich last night, a truely monumental sarnie

Reply to
Abo

My goodness - without Dan who the hell is gonna buy a Renault?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

-snip-

Good post Vamp! I'm glad too that Dan has a good legacy in that he encouraged you to do those things. And of course that sandwich website! That is a hefty deposit in the karma bank for Dan and should prevent him from being reincarnated as a lizard... if you believe that Buddhism type stuff :)

My thoughts are with Dan and his family etc.

Reply to
SPAMMEIFYOULIKEBUTIWONTREADIT

Vamp, in the what, 10 years I've been reading this group, that's the best post you ever made. I'm a bit English when it comes to stuff like this - I'd love to be able to write something on Dan's FB page that was meaningful but not too depressing like you have just written there. You might have inspired me..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Dan would be proud of that post mate, well said.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Thanks for the update Steve. Glad to hear he's still hanging in there, but when the inevitable does happen he'll clearly be missed by a lot of people. I hope he had chance to do everything he wanted to in the short time he had, he certainly made the most of the last few years, and as Vamp said we can all learn a lot from him. Take it easy mate.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Amen.

Reply to
Conor

The terrible thing is that if he comes back as a lizard it will be one of those French ones. Not the Italian lizards which move a bit faster and have racing stripes.

Reply to
Steve Firth