Hmm. European travel (a bit OT, prolly Ping: Dervy)

Hmmmmm does it have to be one of yours?

But barely, really. I mean, sure, it'll be better, but hardly suitable.

Hmm...

Ouch.

Ditto above.

So, 22 hours, given its thirst... :)

That break will be welcome though.

You want winter tyres. End of really.

Do you have to go solo? If I can shunt Charlie off to America could I give you a lift in the diesel Saab? Is it for charity?

But, call it a thousand miles each way. Depending on the speed, the 9-3 isn't especially economical. Call it 45 to the gallon at the European speed limit.*

So that's 2,000 miles at for arguments sake a quid a litre, I make that £200. Throw in winter tyres (but, Saab, FWD, hmm) if you like. What's the tunnel - bet the diesel 9-3 isn't much cheaper.

Hmm pity. I've not managed a long haul road trip this year. :-/

*not checked. Just have a pretty good idea. :)
Reply to
DervMan

The bit about the Zytek controlling all of the new injectors knocks it on the head really.

The Aldes ECU copies what the OEM petrol ECU does and then adds a factor to keep the amount of gas correct. If there is more than one ECU then the whole idea is fehecked.

Never mind...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

No but we managed an early, rapid and impromptu one yesterday morning!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I know a few people who keep a set of wheels with winter tyres and a set with normal tyres. They make a big difference in certain conditions. Such conditions are relatively rare in the UK.

The tyres that came on my car are called "Nexen".

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Is that the hairdresser's tyre of choice or something?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I have, I survived a whole Canadian winter without crashing! Whilst it's nice to have winter tyres, they really aren't strictly necessary if you keep your wits about you and drive slower. The nail I owned had four different tyres, one of which was studded (rear driver's side) - It was fine, just drive slower. Driving on packed snow is a piece of piss anyway, there's more grip than you'd realise. Obviously, it's the ice you have to look out for, but that's the same anywhere.

Chances are, if you took care, you'd be fine.

Reply to
conkersack

It says they don't sell to the UK - what did you do to them?!?!

Reply to
conkersack

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate DervMan, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

As I'm planning on going to see the g/f for "N" days, and possibly bringing her back here (again) it'd be a good idea to take mine.

The stereo is noticeable...

80 litre tank, doesn't take that long to fill.

This is a Range Rover, Mr Derv. A Quality item. [1]

M&S Michelins will do though...

It's not for charity, it's for fun. There will be lashings of beer and food at the other end though.

That's obscenely economical.

The tunnel is around £100 return. It's also 300 miles from here and in a part of the country I avoid.

Heh.

Reply to
Pete M

Rapid for me. :)

Say I wanted to ask you how badly the 9-3 soots, and if the headlights were dazzling?

Reply to
DervMan

Gotcha.

Armed escort? :p

I meant the tyres, but, you've answered that below.

It isn't so much the size of the tank, but the necessary frequency!

Aie I didn't mean from comfort, but, given the time of year, the weather may be s**te in at least part of the trip. A break, something else to focus the eyes on, may well be welcome - especially if it's the inside of your eyelids...

Sounds like something related to the girlfriend... oh, the tyres. D'oh. :p

Hmmmmm.

Reply to
DervMan

Yep, if that wasn't too dangerous 'cos you'd get run over by a car.

Oh, I like driving in snow and I've got plenty of experience doing so. But down here, it's a joke that's best enjoyed being somewhere inside watching people drive cars into each other.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I've got that arrangement, haivng bought a set of alloys cheap on ebay. I have on-road tyres for normal driving and a set of mud and snow winter tyres for when I try to cross the Alps/Dolomites/Appenines in winter.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Heh, very true!

Where abouts are you then?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

It says they don't sell to the UK - what did you do to them?!?!

Sent them the money....

There was a rumour that the sole uk importer wasn't too impressed...

I guess I got lucky. I was up and running for well under 600 by the time I bought the tank and some tools I didn't have.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I live in Kent these days but that wasn't always the case :)

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I don't know anything about this, but in the spirit of usenet, I'm not going to let that stop me suggesting something: Couldn't you use the kit for replacing the normal petrol injectors and leave the extra turbo-dependent ones squirting petrol? I realise that it's not going to be AS fuel efficient, but better than running just on petrol, surely?

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Much as I like Cz, I don't think I could cope with sharing a ferry cabin with PeteM for 14 hours.

Reply to
Doki

I was gonna suggest that, but thought I might be being stupid so didn't ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Doki, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Ta matey.

I'm not /that/ weird....

Reply to
Pete M

I'd only know for sure once I was trapped...

Reply to
Doki