Increaseing capacity

How far could you safely bore out a 1.8 block? Since I have located some forged JE pistons in the US for just under £200 and I have had no luck finding a suitable 2.0 8v Audi block.

The problem is, the pistons are designed for a 2.0 block, so will a 200cc overbore comprimise its strength to much?

Reply to
REMUS

Have any of your modded cars ever actually seen the light of day, as in, legally on the road, with mods along these lines, correctly implemented, without compromising the reliability of the car???

That, and what sort of quotes have your insurers been giving for a car, running such mods?

Just wondered, like...

Reply to
JackH

I reckon he's Bryan Lurring in disguise ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

lol you could have simply said no ;) I have seen evidence of 149cc overbores in Performance VW mag but never 200cc so I was just wondering if it was possible.

Reply to
REMUS

You could have simply answered what was asked of you above... feel free to have 'another try' now, if you wish.

TIA

Reply to
JackH

Okily dokily.

No, that supriseingly enough, is reason why I am asking...

Well I shall repeat myself for your benefit, no, that surprisingly enough, is reason why I am asking...

And have you ever had any engine block over-bored?

Reply to
REMUS

And this year's 'most inconsistent spelling skills' award goes to

RAYMOUS

Reply to
SteveH

hehe :)

Reply to
REMUS

Depends what's different in the engine to get that 200cc. I believe some different capacity variants of PSA's XU Petrol and Diesel engines are the same bore but different stroke.

The diameter of the JE pistons may possibly be exactly the same as the ones in your golf so you don't need a rebore. I have no idea. (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, JackH decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

That is a truly worrying statement..

Reply to
Pete M

Not as worrying as the 'Dairy Milk' purple GTE he had.....

Reply to
SteveH

Normally i take your Vauxhall FWD abuse as you having a grudge. But I drove a Mk3 pov spec Astra a few weeks ago...

Reply to
DanTXD

His intention was probably to bring something interesting to this thread :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Only for those driving within a 2 mile radius of it, when it was being abused... ;-)

Reply to
JackH

souls

That had traction issues... but this thing had full on 'floaty boaty' problems.

Still... it did look funny, when the arse squatted *right* down, under full power abuse ;)

Reply to
JackH

I think I will still buy the pistons since its a very good price and I could probably re-sell them (if they were of no use) here for more since I won't be stung for VAT on a second hand item(s). The pistons are designed for a mk3 golf 2.0 8v engine and i'm not sure how the extra 200cc is achieved, although the 1.8 GTi head still fit's so I can only assume that like you say, the stroke has been increased.

Cheers anyway

Reply to
REMUS

...and vaguely relevant to the OP in their 'former life', if I'm not mistaken...

Reply to
JackH

Mk3 2.0L's have a longer stroke than the Mk2 1.8's, they have taller blocks too. You probably will still be stung for import duty and VAT, I was last time I imported second hand parts. Why not just get a Mk3 GTI or Audi engine, it'll cost a lot less than the pistons, rebore and engine rebuild etc.

Reply to
Homer

So obviously it's a complete and total none-starter, and you're going to wait a few years then.

So why are we even having these discussions ? By the time the results are actually insurable, you'll have finished Uni, and you'll just buy a quick enough car.

Reply to
Nom

Well it's not so bad, I pay £700 a year for a ruddy 205 1.9 Turbo Diesel so £1,500 isn't so bad for something double the power and I will have three years no claims in late September so that will come down quite a bit as well.

Reply to
REMUS