OT - bee disappearance in news again

WHAT???

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

M.H. aka GWB. ;-)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Let's say cell phones didn't exist. Considering that AM/FM towers are less numerous, might there be zones where their emissions are much weaker because there's much more distance between them? Cell phone transmission distance is theoretically about 10 miles, line of sight.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Actually less than that, line of sight, but at the 1.9 Ghz band, trees buildings all attenuate the signal a lot, even the difference between summer with leaves on the trees and winter without leaves makes a difference. More like two or three miles, (1.9 Ghz, GSM).

There is much to consider, power, frequency. I am very skeptical though.

Reply to
dbu.,

That's because there is more idiotic talk going on over the airwaves than ever before and the bees JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!! How much can you listen to some p-whipped husband standing in the grocery aisle with a cell phone at his ear asking his wife whether he should get the brown frosting or the white frosting. Or the soccer mom driving her four kids to various functions with a cell phone attached to her ear gossiping about the neighbors trash.

Who knows, but I am in favor of any theory that makes people reconsider using cellular phones constantly.

Reply to
badgolferman

I just read where the USAF PAVE/PAWS radar has an effective radiated power of 145 KW!! That's at 450 Mhz. I wonder what frequency(s) the bees would be most sensitive to and what their tolerance of RF levels would be. Perhaps we could convince the bees not to fly into radar beams. Maybe we could get a research grant from the federal govenment to study this phenomenon. :)

Reply to
dbu.,

City boy? I also have land out in the country.. "Texas and Oklahoma" A whole lot more than here in Houston...I pretty much got yer city boy hanging.. My issue is blaming it on RF.. I don't really buy it. Most sources I've heard blame it on mites, chemicals in pesticides, etc.. Not RF.. If you have a shortage of bees commercially, but not out on open land, wouldn't that point to a problem within or near the commercial hives? I would think so. There is so many bees here right now, they are building huge hives in the attics of houses, etc. I just saw a story on the news where they had to rip part of a roof off a large house to safely get all the bees out. When you consider that the house was in a location where RF levels are very strong all the way up into the high UHF range or even higher, I think that pretty much kicks the "RF kills bees" theory in the heiney. I never said anything about the importance of commercial vs open land hives. I'm using the comparison to show the fallacy of the "RF is killing bees" arguement. If RF killed bees, it would be nationwide, with no regard to hive location. We have RF out the kazoo here in Houston, and no shortage of bees. MK

Reply to
nm5k

Thats quite a problem here.. IE: the house I just mentioned had a mix of regular bees, and africanized "killer" bees. The so called "killer" bees have made quite a bit of migration progress in the last few years. I know they have plenty of them up in Oklahoma now. MK

Reply to
nm5k

Well, the sources I've heard from did indeed mention hive mites as one of the major problems.. Not one has mentioned RF yet.. MK

Reply to
nm5k

I heard this the other day as one thing that's being looked into, along with pesticides, viruses, whatever could be possible explanations - or maybe some things working in tandem w/each other - a lethal combo sort of thing.

Cathy .

Reply to
Cathy F.

Except you said it was malarkey and not a problem. With just shows you're uninformed and what you says is just ignorant BS.

Reply to
ToMh

Tactfulness is not one of toms strengths, as you will come to relize, LOL.

Reply to
dbu.,

Nobody can be tactful after witnessing the persistent problem with comprehending what you read. Everyone here is polite to you for as long as would be appropriate for a typical 10th grade kid. When it becomes apparent (usually by the 3rd or 4th message on any particular subject) that you're either clueless, or just saying things to annoy, we change the rules. It's what you WANT to happen, so we give you what you want.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Nice try jsb. I left you speechless so many times it's deplorable. You really should take up another hobby. One you can handle with some adeptness. Maybe needlepoint, or crosswords, LOL. :)

Reply to
dbu.,

And you think the problem stems from RF in the area? How am I uninformed, when the best sources of info on the subject state that the problem is mites, etc? It's like lightning bugs. You don't see many here, although the area had loads of them naturally. You think the problem is due to RF? Not hardly. Mainly pollution. There are loads of lightning bugs at my place in Oklahoma. They don't have the pollution there. You bee huggers need to get a grip on reality if you think RF from cell phones is the problem.. Thats what I call malarky. MK

Reply to
nm5k

When I worked in the DC area (Silver Spring to be exact)....the local watering hole was just like Cheers.

One of our croud was a very smart black guy. He took advantage of his blackness to win government contracts.

We need him to help us get the grant.....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

No

No they don't, cite please?

But you said there wasn't even a problem. No one here except Badgolferman ever mentioned cell phones, not that he belives it, and no one's asking you to buy anything, but the fact is you don't now shit about what the problem is, so quit acting like you do. Any good scientist considers all possibilties, no matter how obscure it may be, and if they want to explore the possible effect of cell phones on bee's, then who are to question that.

Reply to
ToMh

The joke has already fallen flat.

Yet Mike keeps plowing forward, like a clueless president in a hopeless quagmire.

It's getting even worse, but oblivious Quagmire Mike sees light at the end of the tunnel.

It was a hallucination.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Try

or KAET and look for the news program Horizon. That person was a guest on Horizon within the past 2-3 weeks.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

facts shmacts.....who needs them?

Reply to