Unleaded petrol mixed with Diesel in a Chrysler 2.5CRD

From me I suppose

I had a Renault 19 RN from new with no problems but it was 12years old, with nine months MOT and One years tax, I bought a brand new car, and off course the dealer did not want PX, I advertised Regie the Renault but no takers Regie was too old

I could scrap Regie and get the £40 but had not the heart as I knew he was good. even the sun roof worked still

I then contacted a Kerbside Motors, who I knew would sell Regie on rather than scrap I sold for £140 (with Tax on) Regie is still going, driven by Kerbside Motors Daughter nearly two years on, (had brake pads done last year) and often passes me on a morning on the work run (If I had family I would have passed Regie on)

Problem is no one trusts people anymore or indeed they never did trust anyone when it comes to motors

Which takes me back to 1964 My apprentice pal was offered a motorcycle by one of the older Engineers, he said I do not want to buy someones rubbish and paid £60 for a second hand BSA C15 The engineer was a bit miffed and came to me and said do you want a motorcycle, (what eighteen year old wouldn't but I simply could not afford one on apprentices wages) I said off course but I can not afford it He said rubbish you can have it, I have not offered your pal s**te, so he ran me to his home in his 1958 Ford Prefect, went into his "garage" and their was this beautiful old bike covered with a sheet It was a 1953 PANTHER He connected the battery up, tickeled the carb moved the advance lever kicked it over and voo voo vum, Christ it was huge too, he showed me what advance and retard did, and off I went for free

Whilst my pals C15 Spent four-months stripped in bits with gearbox troubles I used my bike everyday for three years, until I went away to sea, when I came home after two years my bloody brother had got rid of it as it was using too much room in the shed, I miss that bike

Sorry for off topic, but yes it is possible to buy and run a car/bike for just the MOT and Tax, and yes good deals and samaritans are about, it just takes TRUST

ps When I came home from sea, I had money, I went to see my old engineer and gave him his just reward for making my teenage years such fun Magic

Reply to
Domestos

You own / work at one? Which brand? I am reading this from a Chrysler NG, believe it or not, but we did get copied. ( Probably because the OP has one...:-) )

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

This sounds like a great opportunity to rehearse that old oil-change-interval debate... but note here. I'd prefer a pub with a nice choice of beers.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling
[Snipped Text]

Actually it is, but only for the spray pattern.

Yes, they have a plastic lining that dissolves in petrol.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt
[Snipped Text]

No, but the volume does mean it's manageable.

[Snipped Text]

The last four manufacturers I have worked with have used no more than 48 hour stock delivery. Most can do 24 hours now.

[Snipped Text]

I was using realistic figures myself, based on what I know a good technician can do. A one off major job like an engine is unlikely to be much better than 100% efficiency. Even if we did it at £50/hr (which is actually what we did charge the last diesel repair at), we make about £900 of labour, £700 if it's warranty. If we did a simple flush out and refill, we could do it for, say £200, and fill the rest of the time with more lucrative service work. A good tech can manage 130% on those, that makes us £1200. That doesn't allow for the higher discount we get on the parts as well.

[Snipped Text]

What's that got to do with it? We're no less liable for our actions just because we know our customers better.

That made me laugh that did ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt
[Snipped Text]

Indeed, although some other sites suggest that even the old trick of using petrol to prevent waxing in cold weather is a bad thing too. I would suspect that much more than a gallon would do it.

Indeed, in this case the RAC man is at fault, he should have advised a flush IMHO - especially as it's the RAC that's bunging out adverts on the TV about this.

Why? That's like selling a gun and suing the manufacturer because they didn't put a warning on it that it could fire a bullet at someone!

Actually the fuel suppliers already are. What could the manufacturer do? They put a damned great diesel warning sign on the filler flap and cap, and you will have probably knowingly bought a diesel car. I would put the onus on the fuel suppliers to make a better standard for marking the pumps.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

In my case Honda (it has been mentioned).

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Are you *sure* about that. Think about it.... I'm not convinced ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

You're right. It's difficult. Especially with the bit about "the future".

Did you see the Top Gear Three this evening with their under-ten-thousand-pound cars (Ferrari Dino, Lambo & Maserati) having endless problems?... ;-)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling
[Snipped Text]

Well, apart from back-orders that is ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Heh.... trouble is, *everything* is on back order.

Reply to
SteveH

Are you saying that there is now more noise emanating from this thread than from your 'contaminated' engine?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling
[Snipped Text]

Well, yes that's true with Alfa Romeo, and they normally go 90 days too.

A back-order with Honda might be a week or so.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

85% of parts my company supply are in stock at our depots. Only 5% of all parts from the main franchise is on back-order at Cat Logistics Desford at any time and most of those will be on non urgent stock order from us. From my experience with some car dealers they carry very few parts indeed and the manufacturers are woeful at supplying parts ordered from them. Andy paints a rosy picture of what happens at most car dealers. My experience is that they are generally a shambles and my company now only deals with a select number of dealers who keep adequate stock of parts to supply us. We will not waste our time doing business with what are effectively amateurs who piss us around even if they supply parts somewhat cheaper. Our standards are high and we expect the same service from our business partners. Downtime is unacceptable.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Oh yes let's. I have beer in the fridge.

Huw don't take that seriously please.

Reply to
Huw

r>

That was the nice thing about Volvo parts - even a full painted nose cone from Sweden was only three days.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You mean that you agree? This could be the start of some kind of love-in.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

NOw I've got beer on the keyboard. How long did it take them to find a tank lining that was damaged by petrol & not diesel :-)

Reply to
Duncanwood

"Andy Hewitt" wrote >

Well that is a bit off. Best avoid BMW then. Oops, I've recently sold a diesel BMW and now have what is essentially another BMW, a diesel Range Rover. Oh well, I can only take comfort from the fact that it will probably never happen to me or my wife. My daughter is another story altogether but when she gets to drive next year she will probably get a small diesel car, not for the economy but for the convenience of standardisation with one fuel filled from my own 7000 litre store for exclusive use of my cars and light commercials.

Huw

Reply to
Huw