Unleaded petrol mixed with Diesel in a Chrysler 2.5CRD

Things have moved on just a bit in 30 years. In fact the last five have seen massive strides in performance, refinement and economy, also in reduced emissions and reduced routine service. 20,000 mile oil changes are now commonplace on diesels.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Sloppy terminology is bound to cause confusion. Petrol tanks are what my quad bikes have. My cars all have diesel tanks.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

We do not have 'guys'. We only have ladies and gentlemen.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I lived in England for several months in the early 80s. This is the funniest statement I've read in some time. I didn't see many gentlemen during the coal strike in late 83/early 84. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reminds me of the story (might even be true) about Mark Twain asking the

*lady* if she'd go to bed with him for a million dollars (let me know if you haven't heard it).

Here's another joke that you may or not have heard: Do you know why proper Southern (U.S.) girls (ladies) don't like group sex? Answer: Too many thank-you notes to write.

Bill Putney

I haven't heard it, at least I can't remember hearing it. Maybe I'll remember if you post the punch line.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

OK - ..."Madam - I've already determined *what* you are. Now I'm just trying to determine your price."

Bill Putney

I thought the first one was usually attributed to Winston Churchill?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

And blokes and toffs.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

OK, I have heard that one ... but it has been a while!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

You are probably right, Nate. I've heard it both ways.

Bill Putney

And the second is actually about *Canadians*.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

The message from "Daniel J. Stern" contains these words:

And, to be fair, some frightful slappers round here.

Reply to
Guy King

You did mention your Vito trouble earlier but I wondered if you have had more experience, given your fleet involvement.

Overall, I thought that these two manufacturers were the leaders in strength and reliability (which does not preclude lemons, of course), but maybe that was before the modern common rail...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Agreed, but that doesn't stop anyone, especially if the nature of the fuel is irrelevant in a conversation. Just like most people go to a petrol station, whatever they are filling up with... (yes, not ideal grammar...).

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

There were two other Vito vans at the repair centre at the same time with similar problems. We also run a Renault service van with CR engine which has been fine so far. The Renault is identical to a Vauxhall and Nissan versions I believe........ no ignore that because although they come out of the same factory they may differ mechanically, I don't know for sure. Anyhow I have heard nothing bad about these. I do know that some Nissan CR engines have pump trouble of a similar kind to those described elswhere caused by improper fuelling. I am assured that they are not all caused by misuse and that the pumps are not as durable as they need to be. I also have knowledge of several BMW's with pump failures including a friends 320 diesel. I have suffered no failures personally, not even that Vito van which was not a fuel related failure after all.

My only other personal experience with Mercedes CDI is from my wifes ML270 CDi which has long been sold on. It only did some 25000 mechanically faultless miles. The build quality was appalling though. The BMW X5 which she ran after that had a few electrical problems initially causing the battery to run flat at railway stations and similar parking places where radio transmissions stopped the computers from sleeping. Also the remote locking would sometimes play up. The Range Rover she now runs is mechanically very similar to the BMW, sharing the transmission and engines plus most of the electrical system. This has been absolutely faultless in over 20,000 miles so far. It has been chipped for slightly more power and is driven quite hard when I am at the wheel. It went to the concert the other night averaging just under 100mph for about 120 miles of the 200 mile round trip. Parts are very expensive for this type of engine when they do go nwrong but in a vehicle such as this it can be justified to an extent. However an economy car with such engines fitted, such as a fiat panda or suzuki swift [which share the same Polish assembled engine] would likely be scrapped if a serious engine fault developed at five years or more of age. Let's hope that the engines are built and will last almost indeffinately with minimal repairs.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Well it certainly doesn't help anyone to stop and think before doing something silly.

Just like most people go to a petrol

I would go to a 'fuel' station, but I never do.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Thx for the comments.

I take it that the car did not actually go there by itself...

That reminds me, how were the Status Quo?

It seems to me that much of the great advantage of diesels (other than fuel economy), namely a forgiving nature vis-a-vis fuel quality, robustness and longevity, has been lost with latest technology. But of course they have gained huge torque and great performance cf petrol.

Discuss...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tim S Kemp" saying something like:

I'd certainly have them as 4th. The Coast Guard may be fine body of men, but they mostly sit on their arses.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "N8N" saying something like:

Whoa! Back right up there....

You mean, some local official can come round and tell you what you have on your driveway isn't allowed, because he/she/it doesn't like the look of it? And you get fined for it?

Bloody cheek. Tell them to f*ck off.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon