Unleaded petrol mixed with Diesel in a Chrysler 2.5CRD

You're right. But a good engineer also allows some margin in any design for the fact that bad/dumb things happen. I wouldn't consider it unreasonable to expect failure if we were talking about a 50% or greater concentration of gasoline. But less than 20%? Gimme a break. ANY engine should survive that briefly (not continuously operated that way), and any gasoline engine should survive that much diesel in its fuel.

And it isn't just moronic owners. Delivery tank truck drivers have been known to put the wrong fuel in storage tanks, you know.

Reply to
Steve

Steve ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.thanks) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Absolutely. But why should the engine have been designed with a very different philosophy from the rest of the damn thing?

Do they use the same fuel pressures? Do they have the same space concerns over the pumps?

Common Rail is virtually universal in car diseasel lumps, right down to

600cc. But all are susceptible to mis-fuelling.
Reply to
Adrian

Even if I were sick enough to like the Aztek, that hardly has any bearing on the fuel system of a diesel minivan.

Yeah, I like the PT Cruiser, so what? And I like the Mini too, hate the new Beetle, don't care for '59 Cadillacs, but love the 1960 Chrysler

300F. You know what opinions are like.... everyone's got one and theirs always stinks worse than your own.
Reply to
Steve
[Snipped Text]

No. A small amount harmful over a long period, a large amount harmful over a short period.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

The message from "Tim S Kemp" contains these words:

Looks like an '87 Astra that's been squished a bit.

Reply to
Guy King

Well given they're using the same fuel system suppliers they'll have the same issues. Not that CAT supply much common rail gear.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Thirded.

I don't want to go through each bollock point in turn, but the most ball achingly (to me) bad ones are...

The "warm up" time that old diesels had, and new ones don't, being due to some sort of integrated start up procedure. WTF? It's because new common rails don't need glow plugs unless it's really cold.

Unlocking the doors will cause damage to the main pump. Not if it's driven by the engine it won't. At worst you'll cause the riser pump to activate, and circulate the mixed fuels around a bit.

"Petrol removes the pump case hardening". Noooo. Lack of lubrication can cause wear, but petrol won't magically dissolve metal.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I don't think it's uptight and puckered - it's just a random comment. Nowt wrong with that.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I've seen blue and yellow for diesel.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

That's my point. I don't think it IS designed with a different philosophy.. I suspect the engine is plenty rugged and tough enough to survive 20% gasoline.

Reply to
Steve

Unfortunately, that article reads like a whole lot of the nonsense published in the "automotive press" these days. Old diesel engines "warm up" time eliminated by incorporating it into "normal starting procedures" indeed! This doofus doesn't even understand the difference between indirect-injection (prechamber/glow-plug) and direct-injection (turn the key and start it) diesels, let alone the subtlties of common-rail.

Reply to
Steve

Daniel J. Stern (dastern@127.0.0.1) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed.

Which is why PSA don't sell HDi diseasels in some markets, because the fuel has insufficient lubricity. Australia is (or certainly was) a fine example.

Reply to
Adrian

Daniel J. Stern (dastern@127.0.0.1) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Exactly. It's a fairly cheap car for it's size, with poor residuals.

But as a point of order - the OP didn't specify what Chrysler it was, just a 2.5CRD. It's probably a Voyager or Grand Voyager, going by numbers on the road. The PR Cruiser sells mainly on it's looks over here. Luckily, few blind people drive, so it's a bit of a rarity on our roads.

Besides, the PT Cruiser CRD we get is a 2.2.

Reply to
Adrian

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Have you seen the convertible? It just gets worse...

Reply to
Adrian

Johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@stop-spamming-sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

*EVERYWHERE*

Try your local supermarket noticeboard, newsagent window, fleaBay...

Reply to
Adrian

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's one where the locals have such a strong hint of red to their necks that they can't be trusted to fill their own cars with fuel - to the point at which they've been forced to legislate the fact...

Reply to
Adrian

Steve ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.thanks) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I think you'll find you're agreeing with me.

Reply to
Adrian

Hell you can walk through most any housing estate and (literally) trip over one if you put your mind to it.

Reply to
Chris Street

Wisconsin isn't it?

ISTR that it was only gas that was affected and that you could still pump your own diesel.

Reply to
Chris Street

The message from Zog The Undeniable contains these words:

Recently?

Reply to
Guy King