Unleaded petrol mixed with Diesel in a Chrysler 2.5CRD

VM is an Italian engine builder who once supplied Land Rover for use in the diesel Range Rovers. I know they used to supply engines for Chrysler products such as the Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee plus the early Voyager. The company was recently a part of Detroit Diesel but may have been hived off even more recently.

Every cloud has a siver lining.

My wife has a new Range Rover and all she does is complain that it is too big to park :-(

Big difference in purchase price and normal service charges too I would think. Lexus have a bit of meat left in a deal while Chrysler are working to very small margins I would think.

They did look like a good feature.

No problem. I hope your motor lasts forever. And your engine too.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Re-read the post - there was a bit below that that quoted the OP.

-- Called Pete? Join The Pete Collective NOW at

AstraVanMan

Heaven forbid you tell some people to use their brains and go against the manufacturer's recommendations!! I've had people argue with me about shortening the oil change interval on the sludge-prone 2.7L engine. "...After all, the mfgr.'s recommendation is 7500 mile intervals - how could you possibly second guess them and be right!" Or use a sludge preventing additive for the special case problem? "Oh my!! That's a mortal sin!!"

Bill Putney

Not that far apart then are we.

Some

Assuming the parts aren't already in stock. The chances are they won't be of course because the motor trade hardly ever stocks what they really should to maximise their parts sales opportunities. There are exceptions I know.

Yes but you keep the fitter in chargeable work for longer when he would possibly be sweeping the floor otherwise. £40+ an hour is a profit opportunity in my book even if the hours are tight to the point that a couple cannot be charged for.

"Covering our arses" sums it all up nicely.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Fraid so. What would you do?

Reply to
Malc

Andy, do the manufacturers' bulletins/recommendations state the minimum ratio of petrol to diesel at which such action is necessary? This is a serious question, and I am not trying to catch you out or be clever, but considering that the degree can vary between brimming an almost empty tank with petrol and inserting a petrol nozzle in the filler, realising the mistake and removing it immediately without pressing the trigger, but not before a few drops of petrol have entered the tank, then surely there is a ratio at which no action is required.

Reply to
Peter

Flog it and get her a Smart car, and see what she says :-)

-- Called Pete? Join The Pete Collective NOW at

AstraVanMan

I've done it. Nissan Micra, G reg 1 litre automatic. 11 months MOT and tax. We ran it for a year then scrapped it as the exhaust was falling apart.

Reply to
Malc

Jings, the new rr is a titch.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh butt out!! Oh - wait - you're the op. :)

I had to laugh when I read: "I dumped half a litre of Diesel engine oil into the petrol tank..." That's the kind of sloppy thinking that got you into this mess in the first place. :)

Bill Putney

Oh, I see. I wasn't necessarily referring to the OP in that case, just to anybody that is in this situation.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt
[Snipped Text]

I suspect so, although the bulletin we have only relates to being mis-fuelled, and does not state what ratio is OK. It is actually quite specific that the repairs have to be carried out if the engine was simply started.

The implications are that the components are sensitive enough to petrol that small amounts might be harmful over a long time, they certainly expect them to be harmful over a very short period.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt
[Snipped Text]

Makes quite a difference over a year.

For warranty repairs we cannot stock anything, all warranty parts are ordered from a claim, and send for *that* job. This is becoming more common now.

Besides, would you really want to have a DI pump and injectors in stock, just in case?

[Snipped Text]

Of course it depends on your lead time.

What, no answer there? ;-)

[Snipped Text]

Indeed, I suggest you go and have a good look at liability laws, and their implications to anybody that works in the trade. You would not want to be on the receiving end of a liability claim.

The laws we have in place both protect us and the consumer, as well as hinder us.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt
[Snipped Text]

Yup. Actually Honda have moved almost exclusively to chains now.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

They ALL do. I was born and raised in Detroit, and my dad and several relatives worked in auto industry. Detroit is VERY concerned about what folks will buy, and give the public the cars it wants.

I personally like small, fuel efficient cars. But I have enough friends- the majority of them, in fact, who do not LIKE small cars, and want the biggest heaviest vehicle they can buy.

In fact, I have two friends who readily admit the reason they bought SUVs is the intimidation factor. At least these folks are honest.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Hmmm - did you say the opossite fo what you meant there?

Bill Putney

Chains are better than belts (especially with an interference engine - my Chrysler 2.7 has chains), but the ultimate would be gears. People claim that it would not be practical to use gears on an OHC engine (b.s.), and that there would be a weight and noise penalty. I think the tradeoffs of not having to spend hundreds of $$ every 100k miles would be worth it. Oh - I know - we have stupidly put a premium of close to infinity on weight and noise, though I am convinced that the noise issue (even if it is a real factor - which is questionable) could be solved with a little R&D by the industry. Basically, I think we have very screwed up priorities.

Bill Putney

That's the wording they chose, or are you putting words in their mouths?

Bill Putney

On modern high pressure diesels it takes much less than 40% to completely balls up the injection system.

Reply to
Depresion
[Snipped Text]

You might find this interesting:

It basically says that *any* petrol in the system can start to cause damage as the viscosity of the fuel is critical.

To open another can of worms there is a similar argument running regarding bio-fuels too. ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt