Please, suggestions for tires for 2002 Ranger 4x4 V6-208 HP

I'd go somewhere else. I've bought my last several sets of tires from America's Tires and they have never made any stupid mistakes or gave me wrong information or any such thing. And the price they tell me is the price I get. Plus they never give me any crap if a tires gets destroyed--they just replace it under warranty. Also, their prices include mounting, balancing, and new valve stems etc. so their prices may *seem* higher but they really are not. IMHO they should have known what tires you needed or they should have found out.

Reply to
Ulysses

William Newsome wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have the Destination L/E tires(P22570R15)on my 2 wheel drive Ranger. So far, so good. I drive mostly on paved roads, with snow cover sometimes.

I think you simply ran into a glitch with the web site. The mechanic I goto has had the wrong parts sent for my Ranger a few times from his parts vendor.

Try Bridgestone-Firestone's web site

One last thought, the local Firestone dealer will rotate and balance the tires they sell, as long as I own the vehicle, for free.

Some dealers in your area may have the same offer.

Reply to
TheHack

Your site shows all sizes, thanks. If I saw multiple sizes (15 to 20 inches) for a Ranger 4x4, or if the associate would have asked, I would have gone out and looked.

This is the link I used that had only 15 inch for 2002 Rangers:

Bill

Reply to
William Newsome

It's your responsibility to know what to order especially over the net. If you can't or won't check the size of tire, drive to a dealer and they will do all the work for you. Price? Yes may be higher but that probably means they can read the number off the tire.

Reply to
Mach1

Your job when buying tires online is to look at the tires you already have and order more of the same size.

Tire size is clearly marked on every tire, generally it is the second largest pring on the tire, after the brand name. Given a truck tire, the size will be expressed something like 245/65x15.

245 This is the width of the tread. The actual measurement is the nominal width of the tire, not necessarily the width of the tread, but tread width is close enough for the purposes of this discussion. 65 This is the aspect ratio, which means the height of the side wall as a percentage of the tread width. 245/65 says that 65% of 245 is the height of the sidewall. 15 This is the diameter of the rim. If you buy a 245/65x16 to replace a 245/65x15, then you need new rims to hold the new tires. (You also will probably need new gearing because the tires will be larger than the current gearing can accomodate, in other words your power curve will move drastically and the result will be completely unsatisfactory.)

The tire store, ESPECIALLY the online version will not have any clue what tires you have on the truck already. It is completely unreasonable for you to expect them to know what is on your truck. The options are many.

You can increase the 245 number in increments of 5, 245 to 250, or 255, 260, etc., to the limit of the width of your rims. But, when you do that, you must decrease the aspect ratio so that the overall diameter of the tire does not grow so much that the gearing in the drive train is adversely affected. Assuming a current tire size of 245/65x15, you could buy 16 inch rims and put on a 245/55 or 245/60 x 16. The width remains the same, but the sidewall is smaller to offset the increase in the rim diameter. The end result is a tire that is a similar overall diameter as what you currently have. Alternatively, you can change from the mythnical 245/65x15 to a 265/45x15. This would give a sider tire with a sidewall that is essentially the same, so the overall diameter is suitable for the gearing in the driveline. (I pulled numbers out of my ass to illustrate the point, you need your calculator to arrive at the real numbers.)

It is best, expecially if this is all very confusing, to look at what your current tire size is, and buy more of the same size. You can change the tread pattern but keep the size, and the gearing will not care in the least. If you are willing (able) to plug in a few variables into your calculator, you can alter the looks and performance of your truck with a new tire size. Your costraints are the diameter and the width of your rims. In a passenger car, you have constraints with the fender wells too, but on a truck this ought not be a problem.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You are typical of so many, these days. Whenever you screw up, it's always someone elses fault. Face it, you ordered the tires without doing your homework, homework only you could do.

Reply to
Hairy

Your mistake. You ordered 15" without looking. How could the tire store know you had 16's until they saw the truck. The truck is 8 years old, who knows what kind of wheels an owner might have put on it? You're cryin' on the internet because bigger tires are more expensive than the ones that you incorrectly ordered? Get over it.

Reply to
Old Crow

responding to

mzfelishia wrote: Yes, your site, It's much much better than this one,

mzfelishia