Duplicate key made from VIN # ?

This is 100% false. I work at a Toyota dealer. Picture ID and at least 2 other forms with your name and address on them are required proving that you own the car. I.E. Title, registration, insurance...

They make it very clear if you request a keycode without knowing who it is, and they steal a car. Your ass is grass and you will most likely be going to prison.

Reply to
mastast

Yes you can get a key with the vin. I recover stolen vehicle for the sherif fs office and they almost always have a key that was cut using the vin and an online program to get the key code. You dont even have to go to the deal er or show proof of ownership. Just get the vin, run it with the program, w hich will give you the key code, order a blank online, and go to a locksmit h and boom you can get any car. Doesnt matter if it is a chipped key or not . You can reset the chip in about 30 seconds. When people come to pick up t heir vehicle we give them the key that was with it and they always says "Th ats not my key. I have all of my keys". So yes the whole chipped key/key fo b is a false sense of safety. Car manufacturers are that stupid. Even had p eople tell me "you cant steal my car it has a special key" lol. Well here i s you special key that was use to steal you car. You have an extra now.

Reply to
cbras30

That program is not available to the general public. It uses the NASTF network that gives out a secure ID that identifies the user. Being they are a sheriffs department they likely have a couple members or sub it out to a locksmith.

Steve W.

They can only use the VIN if they can prove ownership of the vehicle

Reply to
keithpankey1256