SSB CB Usage?

BTW, I use these for FRS:

tw

Reply to
twaldron

Chris the answer is no, Jeepers generally use the standard AM channels.

Just get whatever brand or type you want or can afford. If you have special requirements or needs follow them.

Before the run starts find out what channel will be used and then have fun!

Reply to
billy ray

Wow! The old Navajo in the gray case? I must have sold hundreds back in the 70's from my Main St. Radio Shack. I knew the were solid units, but still running today, that's awesome!

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Single side-band (SSB) has never been used on any runs (including EJS and Camp Jeep) that I have been on. The least common denominator is AM (regular CB) and often below CH23. CH4 (4WD) and CH16 (for 4x4) seem to be popular.

I also have Cobra WXST75 and I like it. I am not happy with where I mounted the box with the SO-239 connector so if you have a good place for it, I'd like to hear it.

73s!
Reply to
Red Jeep

No problem. I will follow the CB rules.

Reply to
Chris Maness

This one is kindof a brownish case.

Chris Maness KQ6UP

Reply to
Chris Maness

I went ahead and bought one. It seems ok, the recieve seems to pick up alot of white noise. Worse than the Navaho. I bought it at TA so I can return it within 45 days. I think I like the Navaho's reciever better, but the case is huge for the Jeep. Man, the new Jeeps leave you NO options for mounting. I am considering mounting it across the role bars, but I'm woried that it's going to be right in a theif's face. (like, steal me!)

Chris Maness KQ6UP

Reply to
Chris Maness

Money well spent. I run a single 3-ft. Silvertip on the big truck; it's built like iron, very weatherproof, short enough to clear load silos and it easily tunes to 1:1 SWR across the entire 13 meter band. The tuning match easily makes up for power loss due to the short height. This sucker flat-out WORKS in the real world; it's been hanging on the truck mirror for 13 years now, and still works like new. I've bought and stored 2 more just in case they quit making them. Wilson makes very good stuff.

Reply to
Outatime

I mounted the junction box under the front (dash end) of the console. There is plenty of room for it under there and when you take away the mic, it's invisible. I just poke the connector for the mic out from under the console to use it, and push it back under when I'm taking the mic away.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

Cobra products are the pitts; they've gone downhill in a big way in the last decade; none of the truckers I know even own one anymore.

Anyone who is serious about communication on the road runs Uniden, Galaxy or Ranger. (Galaxy uses Ranger mainboards and are of extremely good quality on a budget.)

Every Cobra I've ever bought in the last 10 years died within 6 months. I won't waste my money on one anymore.

Reply to
Outatime

Really, I hear the 29's are good. I guess not.

Reply to
Chris Maness

What do you guys think of this radio:

Chris Maness

Looks complicated.

Reply to
billy ray

Excellent units; in fact their whole line of products is high quality and seriously underpriced, at least up here in the GWN.

FWIW......

Reply to
Pink Freud

I hear on the CB NG that these things are no good on SSB because of drift, and the Uniden has superior recieve.

Reply to
Chris Maness

Well, we have a lot of people who work/drive in and to the /very/ far north, and that's the name I hear most often.

Anyone from Oz in this group? They have a very similar geographical situation, just much better weather ; their opinions and recommendations could be of value.....or perhaps -- dare I say it? -- a google search at the corner of Australia and long-range communication.

Bonne chance!

Reply to
Pink Freud

Worth a try......: