Desert Island tools

Why? Apart from the fact it is a useful thing to have, I guess in the Landrover content baler twine would be the stuff......

Sarah

-- Rocket Launchers Ltd Make your event go with a bang!

mail: 13 Smyth Close, Market Harborough, LE16 7NS UK

Reply to
The Hills

Strange you should say that, someone asked me the other day if I had any spanners in my landie. No I said but I have a molegrip in my pocket.

Reply to
Larry

For "welding" bulkheads yes, much better than filler and a lot quicker too,

Reply to
Larry

Ouch!

Reply to
David French

How long?

Reply to
SimonJ

In article , Larry writes

I took advantage of the dry spell earlier to remove masses of mud from the underside of my 110. The previous owner lived near Cricklade and liked the muddy lanes around the water park :(

The mud came off very nicely in large lumps, straight into a plastic storage tub (the large rectangular kind). I put on a mask (dusty work!) and goggles and crawled under to do the last bits. Getting up to the lights behind the filler pipe, I found a *very* large lump up high right in the back corner. It seemed to be stuck fast.

After a bit of digging with a screwdriver I struck metal - where I was expecting only mud. More hacking revealed a "Britool" ring spanner, wedged fast on the head of the bolt that holds the front of the bench seat in place. It had been the 'reinforcement' for the mud lump - once removed it all cleaned up nicely.

All credit to Britool, it wasn't too rusty once cleaned, and it's joined the others in the spanner box. It's not my Desert Island tool exactly but it's certainly spent some time in the sand...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , David French writes

Makes the eyes water just thinking about it!

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

My coat pocket silly.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

That's 3 tools...

Sure I can't tempt you with an angle grinder? :)

Reply to
David French

you could, but only to use on the toolkits of those who tighten wheel nuts up with power bars and then wonder why they can't undo them - or in the case of Series I/II why the wheel has fallen off, and then expect us to do something about it - for free!

Rchard

Reply to
richard.watson

You wan't to learn how to make a wind/solar trap I lived for a week out in Joshua tree national park whilst rock climbing with just a 1 litre water bottle between two of us, collected all of our water at dawn and dusk. Then we looked at the map and noticed a reservoir half a mile down the track ;-) must have been where all the air borne moisture was coming from. Used the same technique whilst waking for a week in Death Valley, chasing boulders that move in the night! No reservoir there though!

My desert Island tool would be a plastic sheet, a rock I'd kept in the shade all day, and a metal cooking pot.

Mark E50 TFL 'OneTen' 2.5 N/A Diesel Y437 JFO 110 TD5 Double Cab

Reply to
Mark

Twice the length from the middle to the end?

Reply to
Mark

SpamTrapSeeSig wrote: (snip)

Yesterday I pulled the grille off my 110 (trying unsuccessfully to find out why the horn fuse keeps blowing) - and found a 13mm ring/OE wedged in the RH lower mount of the A/C condenser. I think it may be mine, but I don't know how it got there. Been there a long time by the look of it, chrome worn through where it was touching the bracket. Engine seems a bit quieter now! JD

Reply to
JD

One piece of string held my mates carb on to the motor and enabled us to get home one evening.

My bit of string acted as a make do throttle cable for my motorbike and saved me a very long walk.

A girl I used to get about with used her bit of string to keep the dash together in her mini.

Yep, string's good tackle!

Reply to
andy

Ah, but gaffa tape is more flexible. I had a Toyota once which was held together with gaffa tape, and kept loose with WD40. Throttle linkage broke in the petrol station one day - 30 seconds with the gaffa tape and it was good as new.

We got through 4 rolls in Iceland, although quite a lot of that was down to taping people to inanimate objects...

Reply to
David French

And more aesthetically pleasing :-)

Sorry, construction and use regulations - it's illegal to modify a vehicle with such improvements...

Was she pretty?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

in article XYNIFPApJ8q$ snipped-for-privacy@microshade.demon.co.uk, andy at snipped-for-privacy@microshade.demon.co.uk wrote on 7/11/03 16:03:

String , string , string , string Everybody loves string Pull on your pants Put on your vest Everybody agrees that string is best.

Reply to
Rory Manton

In article , andy writes

Much more valuable had it been used to keep her mini together in her dash...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

I think I see some potential here.

Bang tree many times with rock - tree falls down - firewood.

Bang rock against other rocks - make sparks - fire.

Bang rock against head of little fluffy animal - dinner.

Is this the sort of thing you got up to?

Reply to
David French

Three tools eh? perhaps I ought to ditch the metal cooking pot, and keep the plastic sheet as you can always find rocks, if you look hard enough. Although I did like living for a week in a cave with just a rock to bang things with.

Reply to
Mark