DII specs

I am sort of considering upgrading the current 96 300tdi to a DII, so a few questions if I might.

It seems that the facelift appeared Circa 2003. Were there any mechanical improvements that went with the facelift? I am not at all keen on air suspension bearing in mind the obvious maintenance issues this entails, however I would be very keen on cruise control.

So far my brief perusals of the autotrader seem to indicate that only the ES models are fitted with Cruise contol. So would it be possible to get a lower spec model (was it only the top one that was fitted with the air suspension?) and retrofit the CC. I am sure that all the wiring will be in place as the loom is normally the same, it should just be a case of fitting the gubbins and at worst getting the CC activated in software.

Any suggestions, or should I just get the auto gearbox fixed and persevere with the DI?

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

Fairly sure that any 7 seat version has to have air suspension as it is part of the type approval. Isn't the DII air suspension based on the RR system? Well tried and tested before it got to the DII...

Adding cruise to a TD5 engined DII is easy, several places sell kits of the two switches and bracket, the bracket is the hard bit as it is not available as a spare. A kit takes about two hours to fit working slowly and carefully cutting the hole in steering wheel rear cover and works well. I suspect it is not so straight forward on a petrol jobbie...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You can add Cruise control to a d2 really easily, you are correct in your assumption that the looms are all in place.

have a cheap kit that can be DIY fitted, I know as I did it!! The air suspension is only on the back end and seems to be pretty reliable.

Reply to
Andrew Cooke

Sorry the link should be

Andrew Cooke

My 2000 DII is an XS (4.0 V8 Auto, 5 seater) and it has the self-levelling rear air suspension. AFAIUI, all XS, ES and 7-seater variants have the rear air setup, only the lowest spec 5 seaters don't have it. Cruise can be fitted quite easily, but the climate control is very good and worth havong also, IMO. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Thanks all for the advice.

I will definitely look at the TD5 as even in South Africa the go go juice for the V8 is a little on the steep side. Perhaps we also do bigger milages than you, otherwise the V8 would be nice.

I would be quite keen on the Seven seater so i guess that one might as well go the whole hog and get the ES.

Regards Fanie

Reply to
fanie

Be warned that the 6th and 7th seats are not really suitable for adults and long journeys on tarmac. Very cramped. They also take a lump out of the load bay width, particularly the left hand one. That might not be helped in mine because it has the rear aircon as well and the blower and chiller for that is also in that area.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice