how long will a car idle for?

Don't ever try this - you're likely to get gassed. It's a not uncommon cause of death in freak snowfall. Apparently you're better off risking freezing to death, than risking getting gassed. I presume it has something to do either with the temperature gradient around the snow not letting the fumes drift away, or it's to do with the snow slooshing around and creating pockets around the car.

Of course, you can't gas yourself in a diesel, but you're probably not going to do your lungs any good.

David

Reply to
David French

There is a water mill at Claybrooke Magna, about 15 minutes away from where I live and they sell it in sacks - the granary is beautifull.

Reply to
Nikki

Er - confused? Why can't you gas yourself in a diesel

Still - whenever out in the snow in Scotland over the last few years (none down south boo hoo) I always had:

- Sleeping bag

- 2 x 1.5 l flasks of boiling water

- complete change of dry clothes and boots

- waterproofs

- rug

- mobile phone (+ charger + spare battery)

- route plan/timings posted at home with regular check ins

- big silly woolly hat (normally Cossack variety and to be worn when driving)

- gloves (x2)

- spade

- rope and wires with traction matting

- Hi Lift

- torches and batteries

- a good book

Didn't take up much room as Hi Lift and wires usually live in the truck anyway mounted on the back of the bulk head and everything else went into a medium sized grip.

Reply to
pl.white

On or around Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:33:18 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

you wait 'til there's a bread shortage... every bugger buys yeast and flour as if they're stockpiling for the duration.

meanwhile... I've evolved a theory that Hovis strong wholemeal is about the best of the commercial ones, I use the co-op's own strong white. Mix 2/3 wholemeal with 1/3 white and get almost-wholemeal bread which rises :-)

the remaining 2/3:1/3 the other way makes a nice brown loaf.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Either not enough carbon monoxide, or carbon dioxide, or both, I can't remember which. But either way, you can breathe the fumes, so anybody who tries to commit suicide by running a hosepipe from the exhaust into the cabin with a diesel is normally disappointed.

David

Reply to
David French

It's the carbon monoxide that does it the blood will absorb it easier than oxygen the only way to get it out is to go into a decompression chamber like divers use

I heard a story a few years ago of a guy who decided to end it all, he parked his Volvo in the garage and started the engine and sat there, nobody told him Volvo had fitted cats to the vehicle, so he sat there and sat there and sat there till the car ran out of petrol he then decided he'd had time to think and didn't want to kill himself anymore,

I'd like to think he was run over by a bus coming out of the garage but that's my morbid sense of humour

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Carbon monoxide is the one that kills you quickly and is quite difficult to reverse the effects off although, without any input of oxygen the carbon dioxide isn't going to do you much good either.

Reply to
Nikki

Hi all. Out here we normally also have good CB in the car, I have a switch on some sort of amp that makes mine quite powerful if needed(stuff the fine), We also tend to try avoid going on tracks roads that are not used much, its not worth it, If we do have to go out to fix some problem we always make sure that someone knows the route you are taking and how long you will be, I recomend you never leave your vehicle also as its normally easier to spot. dunno about the maths because I am a bit thick but all I know is if you keep calm and take precautions you should rarely get into a situation where you are stck in a car for that long. Regards Fred

Reply to
Frederic Enaj

Oh yes: stay with the truck - that's where your water, food and other life saving kit is. That's also what everyone will be looking for. Good advice.

Reply to
pl.white