LPG opinions needed

Absolutedimondo! In my experience they're a self serving bunch of anal retentive inward looking w4nkers with no real interest in promoting LPG per se unless there is any direct financial benefit for their members. Such an organisation should not retain any credibility as an 'authority' and most certainly should not be trusted in areas of safety as they are _not_ independent. I have had two contact with them, both negative (the latter left me thinking that I should abandon all hope for a co-ordinated promotional strategy or any degree of effective lobbying for LPG in the UK).

Actually no, there was a third contact attempt, to enquire about getting a filler adapter for Eire. I won't bother detailling the response from them, as it would probably be classed as racist.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

It took Warren a couple of days on-and-off.

Essentially it's a plumbing job - once you've planned where everything should go and worked out a common-sense safety route for all pipes and associated gubbins.

I was going to do it myself but to be honest, my time taken would have cost more than getting Warren to do it (I was really bogged down with work at the time).

I've put a .zip file of the installation instructions at:

This is about 35 Meg I'm afraid. If anyone who has time wishes to convert this into a smaller .pdf I'll happily replace it :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On or around Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:10:14 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

IIRC, they still use the ACME screw fitting in Eire. Which I have several of, as my tank here has that fitting too :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mr.Nice. at snipped-for-privacy@-nospam-clara.co.uk wrote on 7/1/04 11:51 AM:

We have an LPG kit for the Range Rover which Bruce has been threatening to fit for at least two years, and he would say that he was a DIY mechanic, and knows that he would be able to fit an LPG kit with no problem. Its worth having alook round. Chris Perfects and RPI's websites are quite good regarding installation, but they do want to sell you the Iwema kits, which are more expensive than others.

I can't remember what make ours is, but I'll find the website address of the company we bought it from, so you can at least make up your mind. We also had a four recommendations from different people who were happy with the DIY kit they had bought. I do remember the price though and we paid 501 pounds for it in December 2002, and that included next day delivery, all the parts needed and a 100litre tank, and fitting instructions for a 1985 carb engined V8 Range Rover. I believe that he quoted me about 670-700 inc delivery two undersill tanks and kit for the Discovery, which is a little more complicated, because of the electronic fuel injection. That too was Dec

2002, and I should imagine that the prices in general will have gone down from what we paid.

He says he will fit it to one of our V8's this year and if its going on the Disco, there are a few parts he'll need to get to add to what he already has, but he'll do it himself.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

On or around Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:51:48 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

mine has a similar kit. Takes about 3 days, realistically, if you've not done one before.

I reckon I could do a LR in a full day plus, but then I *have* done it before... and no, I don't do others' vehicles as I'm not insured.

The kits Chris supplies are intended for Land rovers, which means in theory that all the bits fit. If you're doing a V8, talk to him about mixers, different types available, some of which fit nicely into the ends of the SU carbs, others are designed to fit in the semicircular alloy tubes that some V8s had, which are a bit of a bastard to fit, but make a neat enough job once done. On mine, I've got the sort that fir in the end of the carb, you then get the normal concertina inlet hoses from a series motor and make a hole in the end of one, and it fits over the whole thing. Sounds heath-robinson, but it's difficult to describe in words. Works well in practice, and easier to fit than the ones in the fixed elbows.

some nice mixers he's just got for EFI ones, too - got one to put on me V6 ford the other day, nicely made look to it.

overall, the quality of the stuff is OK. Some bits are questionable, heard about dodgy rubber boots on the tank boxes and so on - most of it's good quality though.

no connection, BTW. I'm not on commission here...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:52:45 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

depends on yer mileage. If you're significantly over 10,000 miles per annum, and don't spend an arm and a leg on the conversion, then yer payback is around a year, I reckon. I can't see the duty rising WRT petrol that quickly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That's right. Most filling stations we found would lend us one, however a few wouldn't, including the one who didn't even realise they sold LPG!

My comments at:

concerningthe Irish LPGA are about as complimentary as those I reserve for theUK LPGA :-(

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Twas Wed, 07 Jan 2004 13:08:47 +0000 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

Sounds within my ability

Things are quiet for me until spring..

I'll see if I can get that.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Twas Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:01:55 +0000 when Nikki Cluley put finger to keyboard producing:

I've email'd Chris Perfect for a quote, though I think we'll need to talk further once I have chosen a vehicle.

I'll certainly look at all options so if you find that website address do let me know.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Twas Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:05:23 +0000 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

No problem with that..

You don't live in Cornwall do you? you could 'supervise' ??

Thanks for the info.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Twas Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:08:46 +0000 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

I do around 12000 and can't afford to spend much on a conversion, hence DIY. I'm more worried about running costs than time-to-recover-outlay. I can only afford to run a V8 if the running costs remain similar to diesel. I think LPG will remain in that position for a while.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

This is because the Iwema kit is better than many of the others. Having met the Cloggie* and talked to him at great length, I'd prefer to buy an Iwema due to their enthusiasm and very broad experience.

  • Yes, he was wearing them:
    Martyn
Reply to
Mother

I also got mine independently tested afterwards (for peace of mind as I'm a safety junkie). This cost 30 quid I think and took about an hour all in.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Twas Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:36:32 +0000 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

Where did you get this done, did you ask a place that installs them to check it?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

No, it was a company in East Sussex - buggered if I can find their details now. East Sussex County Council were also offering free tests at one point, dunno if they still are, but I know a few other local authorities were thinking of offering them too.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

I hope your server won't mind, but I've set GetRight to get it. It'll probably take four hours or so.

Reply to
QrizB

On or around Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:01:55 +0000, Nikki Cluley enlightened us thusly:

the IWEMA kit is more expensive, yes. According to Chris, who knows the Iwema bloke, I believe, the emphasis is on quality. They have also started doing cheaper kits with more basic stuff in them.

The vapouriser is a case in point - the original IWEMA kits come with a large OMVL vapouriser which is recognised as being a good make and furthermore is rebuildable in the event of it needing it. It's also more (easily) adjustable than some others.

I have a Lovato vap. on the car, which TBH doesn't look so well made, although it seems to work OK.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:21:54 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

Wales. sorry.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:24:27 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

If you have a suitably-local supplier you can improve the price ratio by buying in bulk. The people I buy from currently charge about 6 or 7ppl less than the typical local pump price.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Twas Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:13:48 GMT when snipped-for-privacy@dev.nul (QrizB) put finger to keyboard producing:

I downloaded it but it was corrupted somehow...