NOTE October Unofficial CHANGE OF VENUE

& gives a very good

Fuck me Nige, you getting a bit cultured? I thought Bruno Ganz was actually very credible, but overall reckoned the slant was ever so slightly flawed in a few ways - not least the overt sympathy given to the Nazi doctrine.

Plausible, in places very 'human' and an adept use of some rather incredible and heartrendering humour, but didn't leave me feeling anything I've not previously felt about the abomination of the War, the Cause of the War, and the reflection that Germany has has to go through over the last 60 odd years. Interestingly though, German friends have _really_ slated it. I do, however, think that this is an 'age related' thing for many.

There was only one DVD of that - may produce more one day, with a good gangstarappa soundtrack. Sort of 'Pimp My Phone'... :-)

Reply to
Mother

Yes.

Reply to
Mother

During stardate Fri, 07 Oct 2005 21:56:31 +0100, Austin Shackles uttered the imortal words:

Aren't they threaded the wrong way too (so to speak).

I had the same idea earlier in the week, saw a propane tank abandoned in a laybay, went back 2 days later on a test run in morph to collect it and liberate it...some git had nicked it.... can't leave anything around these days ;0)

I viewed it as fate...probably did me a favour. My prefered choice was for filling it with sand then plasma it.... then again perhaphs not such a good idea when all that air hits the sand... at least it would have been shinny!

Lee D

-- Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam. Winston Churchill

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

Not AFAIK - that's Oxy isn't it ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On or around Fri, 07 Oct 2005 23:42:49 +0100, Steve enlightened us thusly:

fuel tanks are mostly LH thread for the connectors. I think the valve screws in on a RH thread though. But it's a long time ago...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

According to the sticker on the side, it produces 39kW and requires

2.86lt/hr.

I'll leave it to everyone else to figure out quantities required.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Ball park for my guessitmations then. B-)

20l will give a shade under 7hrs running time. Heating oil (kerosene 28sec) is around 35p/l ATM, wonder if it would run on red diesel? Thats a bit thicker at 35sec, not sure of the price of red these days. Might be bit smelly though and so might heating oil compared to "pure" paraffin.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:44:51 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

Provided I can find the jerry can, I can bring that much.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Have a second one that runs on red. Its ok for heating somewhere well ventilated and that you don't need to occupy at the same time, cos the fumes get a bit much. Strictly kerosine or paraffin this one, its much more acceptable.

Reply to
Graham G

Got up to 42p, has dropped back to around 38ppl now. Was about 17ppl this time last year.

Reply to
Graham G

I'm surprised you say red was 17p/l 12 months ago. Kero wasn't that low, ITSR falling of my chair when ordering and being quoted 24p or

27p/l... As for the recent mid 30's ARGH!.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:52:06 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

argh indeed.

we used a few years ago to be able to get C2 kero for a fraction under *10p* per litre, provided we bought 2200+ litres. smaller amounts were about

12-13p.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

It might have been 18mths ago then, but it still wouldn't have been much more. Its got the ag industry worried. My fathers tractor is quite small (comparitively; 120hp) and averages 14lt/hr, which is considered to be economical. When you do the sums working on an average year amounting to

800hrs on his small farm, it adds up. The big farms I sell to use upwards of 1000lt per day through harvest, you could say 35-40000 lt per year, suddenly it becomes a major cost to the business. The ironic thing is, that brussels have forced tractor manufacturers to cut emissions, to achieve this new complient engines burn two thirds more fuel than non-complient ones. I'm sure the impact on the environment must be equal.

What irritates me is that the technology exists for biodiesel from oil seed rape and the like, which would give farmers a valuable income in the tough climate we are in, and be more environmentally sound, yet the government won't give the investment or incentives to oil companies to do it.

And don't even get me started on the costs for hauliers...

Reply to
Graham G

On or around Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:44:50 +0100, "Graham G" enlightened us thusly:

There's a basic flaw in that one, though, sadly - not enough crop-growing land. You can substitute a small percentage of fossil fuel with bio... Also, Oilseed rape is not in fact the most rewarding crop to get oil from, according to a list I saw somewhere.

But even growing the more effective oil crops, there ain't enough land - you'd end up competing with food-growing area.

'course, you can make a good argument for there being too many people.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Graham G writes

It's worse - catalytic convertors have quite nasty chemicals in them, and even more so once they've come to the end of their useful life (they concentrate trace chemicals, or so I'm led to believe). So whilst you may affect the vehicle's direct emissions, you have a different disposal problem (and cost) instead.

I'm hoping to convert the 110 (TD) this month - basically the two-tank and pre-heat adaptation, so that I can choose what to run on.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Diesels were designed originally for peanut oil.

I can't see why waste cooking oil shouldn't be used. It's carbon neutral, and whilst it won't solve the demand issue WRT fuel oils, it must help.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

I saw the relevant yield data somewhere, and I think it WOULD be feasible to grow serious oil crops - hell you can get oil from algae too. Still take a lot of engineering and agricultural research though.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

They contain platinum, which lots of people are VERY keen to re-cycle. There can't be much left in way of waste chemicals at the end of their lives, because they are catalytic converters, so they do their job on the stuff passing through, without being used themselves.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Quite agree and there are some small scale commercial plants around about to produce bio-diesel from that source but HMG in its infinite wisdom plonks almost as much duty on it as they do on dino-diesel. Which means that it's not worth people traveling very far to get it or producers to scale up production due to "lack of demand" if it was

10p/l cheaper there would be a demand...

They really need to put some serious effort into properly promoting sustainable and viable carbon neutral or renewable energy sources, along with proper energy conservation. They only pay lip service to this at the moment.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:25:06 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig enlightened us thusly:

ah, now, waste oil, yes. good idea - dispose of the waste at the same time.

Reply to
Austin Shackles