one for Martyn...

further to the military vehicle thing...

Austin Shackles

Absolute dog to drive, IMO the scorpion is quite good fun.

We have a client that was something high on the mod sourcing committee and my boss talks to him about LRs etc. Apparently the LR failed to complete the assessment as it broke down, the Pinz had no reliability problems. So the selectors were treated to a "jolly" at the top of some Austrian mountain, accessed by a zig zag road. At the end of the "business lunch" the hosts declared the MOD contingent would be late for their flight home, they were hurried out to a Pinz which proceeded to descend the mountain by the direct route, it looks like this descent may have clinched the deal.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Complementary sick bags I presume ? ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Austin Shackles came up with the following;:

Hoohoohoo ... bugger Martyn .... want, want, want ... ;)

I once (in about 1984 ish, got taken for a ride in one across a Tank Proving Ground. An awesome experience, it just couldn't be stopped, it seemed.

And it'd certainly make a splash in the local RTV ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

A mate of mine's got one - and it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Reply to
EMB

My understanding was the the Pinz's were bought as result of a political deal tied in with a contract for LR ambulances. Certainly, a Captain from the Royal Artillery was quoted, on Newsnight I seem to remember, that the replacement of the 101's was going to mean 50% more helipcopter lifts required to move a gun battery, and could he have some more helicopters then?

It defiantely all came about because Paddy Ashdown stuck his oar in in Parliament about 101 ambulances in Croatia/Serbia.

The test drivers a Chobbham didn't like the Pinz's at all,

- the trailer test I saw while waiting to get on the track was, er, interesting.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I'd read that the Pinzgauer ambulances were considered, but the MOD doesn't see ambulances as requiring the kind of off-road capability that a pinz can give relative to a long-wheelbase landy (127 I think). Their reasoning was that you don't want the ambulance being chucked around off-road too much because of all the gear on board, not to mention the wounded! I think price was an issue too, but not sure how much given that much of the cost is the equipment, custom work and staff.

ISTR this being on a web page about landy ambulances, don't have the URL to hand.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

My point was that the deal was politically motivated, rather than based on any technical/operational needs, or even cost. Someone, other than the users, saw a political need for Britain to buy Pinz's. Probably in exchange for a seat on some committee etc.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Hmm, and there's me thinking the 101FC had reached the end of its service and land rover had no replacement...

What would you suggest they do, replace the ageing 101s with transit vans?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ian Rawlings uttered summat worrerz funny about:

What is actually wrong with the 101, all be it not the aging ones, but the model it's self? Landrover could easliy have bunged the 200 and 30 Tdi's in them and still been quicker than the Pinz.

Like other than the engine and box the 110 seems to offer little more than the 109's. Ok suspension is different but in principle the vehicle offers little more to the end users.

Nowt wrong with the V8 mind (for the 101) but the Military seem to have gone down the line of a single fuel where they can.

The Llama appeared on the face of it to be ready to roll off the production lines so Landrover could have pulled it off had the money been waved under there noses, or so it seems to a casual observer.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Exactly, and what would have been wrong with incrementally upgrading them as you say with the 200 or 300, then changing to portal axles - thanks for showing me those. It would have cost us a lot less than the new fleet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor uttered summat worrerz funny about:

You won't be wanting to scroll down this page then....

looking in to the page a bit further they may be able to roll your diff for you though.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Don't forget that the British army never used the gen 1 pinz, only the gen 2, with disc brakes, power steering, more powerful engine etc. Speed's not much of an issue for the army generally, you're not going to do 90MPH towing an artillery piece. A gen 2 will do about 75/80MPH.

The 101 AIUI just wasn't developed by Land Rover, or the units they did develop didn't make the grade (was it the Llama?). It seems they gave up on the military market as the brand took off in the consumer market.

Land rover have to keep up with regulations and rivals in the civilian market, so their military kit has to follow suit. I don't agree that the 110 is no improvement over the 109 either, especially for civvies.

Depends on how serious they were I suppose, I don't think the Llama was that far down the line before being taken out and shot, some prototypes were made.

Plus of course the pinz really will leave a stock landy in the dust when it comes to off-roading, so any re-clothing of a 110 in forward control form wouldn't have made the grade against a 716 or 718. If they were matched in price, the 716/8 would win, so it depends I suppose on Land Rover's projected price of a new unproven vehicle against one already in use and production.

The stupid thing is though, a landy with lockers and portals on it could easily beat a 4x4 pinz, pinzgauer axle articulation even on the newer models isn't that good, certainly less than a stock landy. It wouldn't take much for Land Rover to have made a more extreme version of the Defender that could keep up off-road. The pinz has the same sized tyres as the landy so its 16 inches of ground clearance versus my 110's 8 inches is down to the portals, the rest is down to the lockers. You'd be amazed at the difference the clearance and lockers makes though.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I'd toyed with the idea of keeping my 110 and adding portals and lockers, it'd be a monster! About £2,000 for some C303 portals with lockers already fitted, not that hard to attach either apparently.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yeah...

Whats the axle rating for these?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I've more space in my S3!

Plus I reckon it's a little heavyweight for me.

Reply to
Mother

Only 846 quid for a pair of axles. Would they fit ?

Just imagine the clearance, and torque at the wheels, and built in lockers..

You are really are Trouble, with a capital T.....

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

404 axles have been fitted to landies, it's just a case of how to do it ;-)

Don't forget the price of the above axles is minus the disc brake conversion, as well as all hardware to make it fit.

.. just make sure you don't end up with 5 reverse gears and a top speed of 30MPH! Even mine can go faster than that ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:10:07 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

I thought you had yer eyes on a stolly?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I could get a 101 in the loadbay of a Stolly.

Mind, may have my eye on one - doubt the boss'll ever let me get my arse in one, though.

Reply to
Mother