Workshop safety Or Mig Leaping event?

Any New Yaknee workshop fans will know that the most important bit of kit is the safety goggles.

However!!......... don't under estimate the power of a garden hose to put out a flaming inferno that is resultant in burning underseal severing your diesel fuel line.

I'd made a mental note to avoid the fuel line a couple of weeks ago... but we all know what happens to mental notes :-( Work had slowly progressed closer to the fuel line but the brain failed to engadge.

Oh how I sprinted to switch off the power before unleashing the torrent of water under the engine bay. Leaping over power tools, cables and discarded rotten sills and inner wing.

I think it was a mix of familiarity breeding contempt and just dammed poor luck.

Only thing missing was the slow motion, "NoooOOOooOO!!!!!!!!".

Mrs D's eyes met with mine as she observed proceedings from the Conservatory. The actual engine bay end of the car was out of sight, she could tell immediately that things were going pearshaped. No words needed to be exchanged, that knowing glance " Ambulance or Fire engine dear ?" , either that or I'd entered a Mig leaping contest.

Fortunately the resulting diesel sponsored flame poured away from the Rangie so damage was only limited to a knackered plastic fuel line.....few....!

Spending the rest of the day draining the tank with no way of stoppoing it also prolonged the agonoy of getting it back to work.

At least the forsight to have the hose on standby paid off.. Little did I suspect the artistic impression that the session would create and had the hose not been there It would have been Alfie the toastie...FS: cheap rolling chassis.

Thought I'd share it for anyone feeling equally as complacent as me.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Twas Sun, 26 Sep 2004 14:33:36 GMT when "Lee_D" put finger to keyboard producing:

All I managed today was a re-hash of the cheap aluminium dog-guard and moving the numberplate and firring a recovery ropw to the chassis and wrapped around the front bumper.

rather boring really, no power tools, no flames, no skinned knuckles.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Hi Lee

Not only does underseal burn in a very rewarding way, so does all the Dynotrol that you spend ages spraying into the box sections of the chassis. It is quite thought provoking when you see little flames peeking out of the chassis drain holes at the far end of the vehicle!!!

It hasn't happened on my current RRC (yet) but I'm wondering how to stop it when I come to weld the patch over the hole in the outer sill under the B post. Any suggestions? I suppose that a holle in the chassis that is big enough to admit the nozzles of my CO2 or Halon extinguishers is one solution, but I've alread got one that I need to patch!

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

H'mmm I suppose spraying it with water internally prior to work commencing may help... no good for preservation of the article it's self though.

How about a garden sprayer on standby ready to dose it down.

Or running co2 through it from a pub bottle may reduce the likelyhood of ignition.... Bunging up the holes you can with rag or summat.

Theres no doubt more reasons not to do that though...

Or what about a wall paper steamer blowing steam through...

I don't quite fancy water around electric , especially whilst welding so probably another good reason not too.

I know.... make freinds with a North Sea Oil rig welder and go do some snorkling... Park up for a brew while your mate does the welding... hey presto!

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Steamer doesn't sound totally daft the more I think about it. Hopefully enough moisture to discourage ignition but not so much that I get a belt from the MIG.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage