Cigarette Lighter

Hi

As you probs know by now I have a 406. Now, I want to make the cigarette lighter permanently live. I assume that I can just cut the current "ignition live" wire and join it to a "permanent live"?

It's for a fridge by the way - going touring Europe!

Thanks Oli

Reply to
Oli

In article , Oli writes

Fridges typically take 10 or more amps (Peltier cooling type) - would flatten a fully charged battery fairly soon.

Reply to
Chris Holford

Yes, but bear in mind that fridges use an awful lot of power.

Reply to
mrcheerful

It's much easier than that. If you find the currect fuse in the below-dash fusebox you'll see that it can be inserted in two positions: there are three slots in line and the fuse bridges two of them. Remove, and re-insert in the other position and the job is done.

HTH

Simon.

Reply to
Simon Kelley

You need to make sure the permanently live circuit is up to the job - although you may not use the cigar lighter, others may and it takes about

10 amps. I'd also install a line fuse for safety if you're not sure of the fusing of the circuit you use.
Reply to
Dave Plowman

Don't do it unless you don't mind returning to a flat battery on a regular basis!

Reply to
Alan

Bargaincrazy are selling a 'camping gaz' cooler which is the same as the one I use - it automatically switches off when the car battery drops below a set voltage - normally 3-4 hours after leaving the car. My car has never failed to start - absolutely brilliant.

then look in the price plunge section - currently 50% off.

Reply to
TTT

I agree, they are fine while on the move but not something to be left connected and left running in the car while you are on the beach. Saw a few British families stranded after using them last year.

Gio.

Reply to
Gio

Don't understand this,I've got a 406 and is always live.You can use it with the ignition off as I often do when plugging in my electric tyre inflator. I don't have the wiring to hand but mine is live all the time.

Reply to
Harry Hotspur