Costco tyres/front only

Until it becomes the back as is likely to happen...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, it won't.

It's a hydraulic Cit. You can drive it with only one rear wheel *fitted*. The rear wheels are only there to stop the bumper scraping.

Reply to
Adrian

Any car can swop ends under the right conditions if the rear tyres have less grip than the fronts. Of course some are more prone than others.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Steve Robinson" saying something like:

Am I too late for popcorn?

Anyway - that's a matter of how good a driver you are. A rear end breakaway is much better imo than a front end one. So, new ones on the front, most of the time. But it depends on the car and how I feel on the day.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Nah have some.

Heh. Oversteer on a front wheel drive machine may be predictable under some circumstances, but an absent minded too-fast over a roundabout, turning in whilst lifting off, half spin, yeah that can catch you out.

That's probably what they're protecting: Numptiness. :)

Reply to
DervMan

Most of the time yes.

Unfortunately it's that one percent or whatever when you'd rather have more grip at the back than at the front, that's when it catches you out.

For a laugh (!) I ran the Ka on some cheapo tyres down to 2mm on the rear and new tyres on the front. Under even moderate cornering, easing off the power meant what I can best describe as an oversteery sensation. Lifting off completely meant you either correct or give it more power immediately... :)

Reply to
DervMan

Heh. I could be, I tried, after one drive to and from work I put the better quality new ones on the back.

It was hilarious when I was encouraging oversteer but unpredictable in the wet and downright nasty if you were just _slightly_ too quick for the rear tyres' ability.

Thus, I'll put the part worns on the front...

Reply to
DervMan

Yes, almost are with two exceptions I can think of: the 106, which seems set up to oversteer. Oh and a bunch of Alfa Romeos.

Yes, absolutely. But you have to consider the Numpty factor. Or ice, spilt diesel, or whatever.

'Course I'm of the opinion that if an idiot encounters spilt diesel or ice and they're too fast, I want to be safely behind them and not immediately in front. :)

Or somebody else has been very silly in front of you and you've braked mid-way around a corner to avoid 'em?

Me too. But I'd rather the front end drifts back into line if I'm hunkering too fast and the back end remains planted, rather than the back end snaps out of line and my front end is still relatively planted until it's too late...

Reply to
DervMan

If you add in a rather uneven road surface to give the back end a bit of a bounce, I've done something similar when U-turning at a (not very circular) roundabout. What astonished me how slowly I was going when it happened.

Reply to
David Taylor

That goes totally against accepted wisdom. And simply isn't true. Ploughing straight on is generally safer than spinning.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

Pah. You just don't know how to have fun.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

There's a difference between dropping a gear and booting it mid bend, and just discovering there's not as much grip as you hoped.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I once ran a CX with a pair of Kumhos on the front. They were *lethal*. Show it a photograph of a slight bend, and it just squeeled in pain without even contemplating changing direction. OTOH, I drove a CX once with some ancient god-knows-what on the back, and it drove just fine - then I noticed that there were actually strips of tread missing off those rear tyres...

We all know cheap tyres are shit. I'm not referring to a mix of cheap tyres and decent tyres - I'm thinking more of a mix of new decent brand and worn decent-brand.

Reply to
Adrian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tim S Kemp" saying something like:

And that takes away from my point how, exactly?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon