Fog Lamps in Clear Vis.

Err, yes it is, read the above again - you MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced, and you MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Reply to
Jerry.

Unfortunately, undue dazzle is literally in the eye of the beholder - these lights have been approved by the authorities for use in the EU as dipped headlights - they are therefore compulsory in the hours of darkness, and you could not really argue that a light which is compulsory after dark is unacceptable in daylight. So on they stay, to the annoyance of many.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Ah yes, I see.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Very true indeed. Also the "seriously reduced visibility" for using fog lamps is not precisely defined. However, most of the dazzle I get comes from large motorcycles during daytime. I suspect that motorcyclists makes a point of being 110% noticed somehow.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

In my experience as a biker, that's often not enough. A lot of the biker arguments against daylight running lights are that, at present, it's one way you can make yourself stand out from other vehicles. However, many bikers seem to think they have a right to run on high beam all the time - inconsiderate and counterproductive in my opinion. Whatever the arguments, I can see that both HID and daylight running lights will proliferate over the next few years.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Pre-74 Triumph 2000s are like this. Makes a lot of sense, dunno why vehicle manufacturers removed this feature.

Front spots switched on for no reason piss me off too, but **really** get my back up when they're aftermarket jobs and they've been fitted so badly aligned that they blind oncoming motorists.

-- Ken Davidson

snipped-for-privacy@removehotmail.com remove remove to email

Reply to
DocDelete

The old Mk2 Cav won't run rear fogs on main beam..............

Reply to
IanDTurner

Well we can all hope they do, especially if they can't control their little fun buckets.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

Hmmn.... The amount of times the lads i know have who have "modded" cars (penis extensions) are stopped that often they must have insurance, once gave one of the lads a lift to town, he had 3 producers for the past week he needted to produce for!

The same lad now 2yrs later drives a BMW 318 and he ( his mum) pays £400 a month insurance...

wish i could affored to squander that each month!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Hi Gordon,

If you're 70 you must go and get a mobility car and have the front fog lamps wired on permanently so that they work in the day. Also fit some blue LED washer jets, fit a farting bass speaker in the boot and a dustbin sized exhaust to make people think you're doing 100mph. That will almost keep you up to date. To be really trendy, stick some plastic sheeting halfway down your windscreen and cut one of your wipers off. Then remove your springs and put tiny little ones on and go for some oversized wheels, that will ensure you can't steer. Then you have to spray paint all your windows black. Don't forget to wear a tracksuit and cap to look a complete tosser, you might also want to buy a 1litre Corsa or Nova, maybe go wild and go for a thrilling 1.25 fiesta, you should leave most things standing in that.

Boy racers are all the same, it's a phase they go through, like people who are confused about sexuality in their teenage years. Most grow out of it, some are still on the roads today.

Best of luck if you choose to bugger up your car - take a look at

(in the forum) for further information.

Reply to
Geoff

Jerry. wrote

I'm fairly sure that my Mondeo headlights have to be on *before* the fogs can be switched on, which seemed stupid to me because of the back glare from heads. :-(

Reply to
Gordon

Jerry. wrote

I think less than 100 metres is the usually quoted visibility limit for using fogs.

Reply to
Gordon

In *thick* fog - the only time front fog lights are useful - I've found the dipped lights make little difference good or bad. It's the main beams that light the mist up like a white sheet.

Are you sure it wouldn't work with the sidelights though? I think mine does.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

[...]

But no distance is mentioned in the The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations

Johannes H Andersen

£400 A MONTH? Has he been driving into things every other week or something? With two years NCB he should be able to get it for a relatively reasonable price.
Reply to
Doki

However, it is in the Highway Code. Rule 201:

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Reply to
Bob Davis

They still live with mummy and daddy, usually rent free.

Reply to
SteveH

And 201, which is a Law and not just a Rule, would explain why the old style of switching off the headlights when switching on fog lights is not used anymore.

Reply to
Jerry.

I would not be surprised if it is 400 a month, a BMW, possibly a 19 years old driver (probably with points) in a bad risk area.... It all adds up !

Reply to
Jerry.

Well, Rule 201 is a summary of the RVLR regs. 25 and 27 with additional guidance, rather than a law in itself. It is still legal to drive with foglights instead of headlights (in poor visibility, naturally) even though this is not stated in the HC, and of course some cars are configured so that is the only mode of operation possible - making a future law change unlikely.

Reply to
Bob Davis