Fog Lamps in Clear Vis.

Although the 1st page of the highway code contradicts this.(i.e. it's not the law in & of itself)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Sorry, but just what do you mean by the above ? The Highway code is just that, a code, but some 'rules' have a legislation (Law) behind them and thus must be obeyed - as far as I can see what is printed on page one does nothing to contradict this.

If you mean something else I apologise for the miss understanding.

Reply to
Jerry.

A legal requirement in the US on all cars built after 2001 I think. They are activated when you put it into drive.

They are actually reduced intensity Main beam lights. And are a bloody brilliant idea. makes other cars much more visible without causing any dazzling.

As for front Fog lights. They should be banned in this country.

As no longer have bad fogs here, they simply serve as a pain in the arse.

Reply to
Paul

Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Of course we do. Just not in the particular bit of urban tedium that you obviously live and drive in.

Reply to
Adrian

Hence rule 201 is part of the highway code as opposed to the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations. Regulation 25,b,2,ii says you do not have to have dipped headlamps on if " in seriously reduced visibility, a pair of front fog lamps which is so fitted that the outermost part of the illuminated area of each lamp in the pair is not more than 400 mm from the outer edge of the vehicle is kept lit;"

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

At which point, they become incredibly useful.

They can also be very useful in addition to main beam on dark, narrow back lanes - which is where mine mainly get used. They get treated as additional beams, too - turned off in the face of oncoming traffic.

In some parts of the country, it can be regularly at certain times of the year.

In your experience, not in mine.

Better ban rear fogs, too, then. They get abused something rotten, far more than used properly.

Or - better - how about instilling some competence in drivers?

Nah, that'll never catch on.

Reply to
Adrian

But if you are stuck in queuing traffic, with no more than 10m between you and the car behind/infront it doesn't matter if visibility is down to 100m, and the b*****ds should be turned off.

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

it might be a 320 actually

oh and its got some sort of kit/mods

I remember not knowing to laugh or cry when i heard the £400a month.... £400 a year and i feel hard done by!

Reply to
Tom Burton

Emm...............No, Rear fog lights are a safety necessity in fog.

I agree they are also used incorrectly. However not with the same regularity as front fogs.

Reply to
Paul

Just a minute........ . . . . . . . . .

Stupid me! Course they do, and I had to start the engine to prove it, and that meant running it out of the garage and . . . .

Did you know it's down to 2.7°C out there?

Reply to
Gordon

Paul wrote

I went to the trouble of installing them on my Cortina MK1.

Then somebody decided that to cater for sightless drivers and pedestroids it would be better if we all dazzled each other.

Reply to
Gordon

Johannes H Andersen wrote

That's it then! I'm going to start using mine tomorrow.

Will it look like a Rally car?

Reply to
Gordon

Geoff wrote

:-)

I enjoyed that!

Reply to
Gordon

John Kenyon wrote

I'm not going to go reaching into cars and switching them off.

I've only used my b******s twice in nearly 4 years.

Reply to
Gordon

I've never had any front fogs - can't say that I have missed them either. I can only recall a few occasions where I've had to drive significant distance in fog, and in none of those would front foglights have made any real difference. I had a Focus for 18 months, and liked the fact that the fog light was switched via the main light switch, so impossible to leave on. Never got to use it even once, but it was a nice feature:-)

Reply to
Bob Davis

I think they call them 'cruise lights', usually found on the same car as LED washer jets.

-- James

Reply to
James

I've driven in fog bad enough to need the front fogs on. In fact the fog was so bad at the time that visibility was better with just front fogs than when I had front fogs and dipped beams, if it hadn't been for the fogs I would not have been able to drive at all.

-- James

Reply to
James

Rule 93:

You MUST

use headlights at night, except on restricted roads (those with street lights not more than 185 metres (600 feet) apart and which are generally subject to a speed limit of 30 mph)

Rule 95:

You should also use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen

-- James

Reply to
James

When I fitted my exhaust last weekend, after it got dark I could see, from under the car, water on the ground turning to ice in front of my very eyes.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

Isn't nature wonderful?

Reply to