Fuel Pump Relay on VX Carlton Diplomat ?

Hi there,

Having problems starting a J plate Vauxhall Carton 2.0i Auto Diplomat.

I understand (from the AA, and I suspect to) that its the fuel pump relay. Fuel pump is fine as recently had new tank and pump fitted several months ago so all new. Fuel in and sparks and turns over, just no fire !

Where the heck is fuel pump relay located as the Haynes manual is useless.

I have a new relay Number "GM 90337651"

Any help greatefully recieved,

Andy.

Reply to
a.j.beddoes

Should be in the black relay/fuse box under the bonnet - passenger side towards the windscreen side of things.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Apparently it's not in the small box under the bonnet - I know then one you mean but according to the very nice man (Mr AA) it's not there ! ABS is. Mr AA couldn't get the car going !, but I suspected he knew almost as much as my 2 year old daughter about cars !

There are I now understand relays in both front passenger and drivers footwells, bottom corner wing area ? Makes sense ?, or are these relays for something else ?

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Reply to
a.j.beddoes

Hi Don't know if it's the same as a 91 Senator 3.0 24v but that was where Astravanman suggests,tall black one.

Had trouble with my Senny keep cutting out and not starting once up to operating temp.Known by VX to be a problem.Mine used to get hot to touch after driving and most times(not all tho) would not power pump till cooled down.

Was very intermitant,pissed me about for some time.

Reply to
ForeverArsenal

Just one thing - can you quote what you're replying to and reply below, like I've done here? I'm not being anal - it just does make it easier for everyone. I won't bore you with all the reasons, but just trust me - everyone benefits :-)

Right, now that's out of the way, I'll see if I've still got my hemi-demi-semi-falling apart Carlton Haynes manual........

Yup, would you believe it! I've probably still got a handbook (in fact, probably the whole booklet pack). Ah, bollocks, most of the index pages are half not there, torn, or grease-ridden.

But trust me, I'm 99.9% sure the fuel pump relay is where I said, as once I replaced it, thinking it was the fault (a common fault, I think), and it wasn't, but it was definitely there. Got a feeling there are two separate boxes next to each other - just have a look for a similar/identical relay under there.

And if you're in Berkshire, I've got the whole booklet pack (which is probably going to be more useful than a Haynes manual in this instance) and a very tatty Haynes manual if you want them.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Andy,if no luck try posting here.

ForeverArsenal

OK then Chaps. The fuel pump relay was NOT in the small box under the bonnet as suggested (Haynes manual indeed says this - but location Number #1 has NO connector in there on my 1992 J Plate Diplomat !)

For future reference however it was located in the drivers footwell above the auto kick-down switch ! Take the trim cover off above where the drivers feet are and hey presto. confirmed as GM 90337651 and with shorted out pins 30 and 87b (I think) pump supply comes on.

Thought this bit of info maybe helpfull as pulled almost every internal trim panel off. Found relays I never knew existed and this was the last one.

Andy

Reply to
a.j.beddoes