Kwik Fit Car Servicing

Could you explain what you mean? Did they break the new adaptor? Or simply didn't have enough strength to shift the bolt?

'Welder a rod'? What use is that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or simply don't actually know what happened.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Welded something onto the locking bolt such that they could grab it and turn the bolt with greater force.

Reply to
johannes

Perhaps you do your own tyre change & wheel balancing? I'm impressed.

Reply to
johannes

Especially main dealers.

David

Reply to
David

Why would you be impressed? Trained chimps can change tyres and do wheel balancing. At Kwik Fit they get to wear uniforms while they do it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yeah I know m8. But first you need to find the machines to do those fings.

Reply to
johannes

I'd certainly never go near a garage for replacement pads and discs. Which as you probably don't know also requires the wheels to be removed. I also watch any garage like a hawk when they are re-fitting the wheels after a tyre change. I also check the torque properly immediately afterwards. I simply don't believe they look it up for each and every car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I depends on the outfit. I saw the guys used a torque wrench set to 110 Nm. Discs and pads are not as straightforward as you might think. Disc needs to be properly measured for alignment (needs equipment). The calliper piston can sometimes be stubborn to push back, especially on an old car. I have done it, but admittedly now let 'them' do it, but of course check the result.

Reply to
johannes

How do you know what it was set to? And that is tighter than any car I know of. So you let them go ahead knowing they'd be over-tightened?

Somehow I don't think I'm going to learn anything from you...

Total bollocks. You just make sure the mating surfaces are clean. If there's a problem after that they're faulty.

They should be cleaned thoroughly before retracting. If they are 'stubborn' something's wrong.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have checked the manufacturer's data, and this torque setting was correct.

Reply to
johannes

Sorry - missed you're using some foreign measurement. I stick to lb.ft.

110 Nm is fairly normal.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You made me worry for a while, so I looked it up. It is still higher than some other cars, but then only 4 bolts are used.

Reply to
johannes

Torque settings for wheel bolts?

That's a bit obsessive, isn't it?

Reply to
SteveH

I have rather expensive stainless steel nuts on the old car, so only ever use a socket on them. So it's just as quick to use the torque wrench. They are pretty tolerant though, being vastly over-specced in most cases.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

they told me a shock needed replacing when it was only just put in recently and another branch told me the clutch needed replacing, when there was nothing wrong with it at all. would never ever go near them again.

Reply to
john east