Oil virtually run dry! :-(

Not necessarily, most warning lights come on at 5 or 10 psi, so they don't come on at idle when the engine's hot. At 50 mph, on full boost (turbo diesel ??) it might be making 20 psi but that won't be enough to keep Mr Big End Bearing happy for more than a second or so. There could also be a lot of air being sucked up into the oil galleries which is only marginally better than no oil.

Reply to
Rushing7

If not we will tell Conor where you live...:-)

Reply to
Chris Street

Never seen them before but makes reasonable sense. I've had le flic's want to see triangles, spare bulbs and first aid kits before now though.

Reply to
Chris Street

LOL. More like it! Have you chocked her up on blocks - I've seen tyres take a permanant set before now after only a couple of months of standing without moving. They were some crappy far east make though.

Reply to
Chris Street

: > PS OK, I'll let you off the hook. She's laid up for the winter. All : > these checks depend on how many miles you do... And yes, she'll be : > getting a very thorough check before I start blasting around in her : > again about easter! : : LOL. More like it! Have you chocked her up on blocks - I've seen tyres take : a permanant set before now after only a couple of months of standing : without moving. They were some crappy far east make though.

I thought about it, but decided not to bother - getting supports in under the back end is a pain, and I start her up every month or so, and move her forwards or backwards a bit, partly to move the tyres and partly to give the clutch a polish.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Zathras saying something like:

You might be seeing an artificially high level of oil on the dipstick, caused by the oil loss (slight burning) being compensated by fuel dilution of the sump contents.

It happens on a lot of diesels and gives the false impression that the engine uses not a drop of oil. In the meantime, the crank and everything else is being fed by a steadily reducing quality of lubricant.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The message from Chris Street contains these words:

I wish the British dibbles would pull foreign truck drivers over for not having beam-benders.

Reply to
Guy King

Same here (same car as well!) - during the first 40K miles I very occassionally topped-up between services, but not now. I always thought thst the fact that there is no restriction on the air intake on diesels meant that oil tends *not* to get sucked into the cylinders via the piston rings or via worn valve guides.

D A Stocks

Reply to
David A Stocks

Or it might not be using any oil like some of my engines. If diesel in any quantity entered the sump then the level would rise. This is a good reason for checking oil at least weekly on an engine known not to consume oil. It is surprisingly common for lift pumps, thermostarts, injector pumps, injector pipes [on some engines the injectors are inside the rocker cover] to start leaking at some point. The important point is to check regularly so that any change in consumption can be noted ASAP to enable rectification before any damage is done.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Tyre pressures fine or do they just look right?

Reply to
Conor

ROFL..I was right. Is that "look fine from a cursory glance from the kerb"?

Your tyres can deflate by up to 20PSI before there's a noticable change. Also, sure that there's plenty of tread across the full width? What about cuts or bulges on the inner sidewall?

Reply to
Conor

What a prick.

Reply to
Conor

I do that check every day on my lorry and everytime I do a trailer change which can be a few times a day.

Reply to
Conor

Oh dear. Sense-of-humour bypass. Read what he's written again and insert the ;-) he forgot.

Reply to
DocDelete

In message , Conor writes

No Conor, its you that's the complete prick, and not for the first time either.

If you had taken time to read Ian's post you would have realised that his car is laid up at the moment. But don't let that stop you launching into your usual vitriolic tirade.

What's the view like from that ivory tower of yours?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Huw" saying something like:

That's it. It's amazing how many drivers today just never check the simplest things. I think it's the easy availability of new cars to the newish driver - they tend to get used to engines that apparently don't need checking.

Anyone who was brought up on SOCs has an inbuilt routine about checking things on a daily/weekly basis.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Shite Old Car.

Reply to
SteveH

What's an SOC?

Reply to
Chris Street

I'm fairly certain 5psi would be more than enough to keep your big ends happy. Little ends take the same load and that's a rocking motion, and they are not pressure fed at all.

Reply to
Chris Street

Oh yeah. (Duh..) I've owned a few of them as well.....

Reply to
Chris Street