Oil virtually run dry! :-(

Other than for a very brief time at low rpm and low load it certainly wouldn't. If it were sufficient then that's how engines would be designed rather than at the 30 to 70 psi range that most fall into.

Little ends take the same load and that's a rocking motion, and they

Well they don't carry any of the rod's weight and inertia, just the piston's, but it's an interesting point and frankly one I haven't looked at in full detail before. The metallurgy is different from that of a very soft white metal shell bearing and they can't generate a hydrodynamic wedge oil film because it isn't full rotational motion so pressure feeding wouldn't achieve much anyway. Instead they rely on very minimal running clearance, usually a sliding fit, so that contact point loads are avoided.

Lawnmower engines manage with big ends that are splash, or scoop, lubricated but they also use aluminium as the bearing material rather than white metal and the rpm and loadings are fairly low.

A bearing that relies on a hydrodynamic wedge oil film needs a running clearance, by definition, in which this film can be generated. Normally between 1 and 3 thou radial clearance. If the oil film breaks down then you get point contact, very high pressure loadings and consequent failure. You need a certain minimum oil supply pressure to allow the hydrodynamic wedge to form. This supply pressure is a function of load, speed and clearance. However a bearing that uses sliding fit running clearance also spreads the contact loads over a fairly large surface area all around the pin which obviates the need for a high pressure oil film to avoid metal to metal contact in one particular spot.

The other feature of little ends is the very high surface hardness and high polish of the pin so as to minimise friction and wear and maximise the difference in surface hardness between the pin and the housing. Tribology is complex but in general bearings work best when the two materials in contact aren't of similar hardness. Cranks on the other hand can work fine with unhardened journals because there is no metal to metal contact anyway under ideal conditions. If you tried to design a little end with unhardened pins and non zero running clearance it would fail very quickly.

-- Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Dave Baker

Focus diesels run about 20psi at max torque (2000rpm) according to my pressure gauge. Tickover I'm lucky to see more than about 8psi and it seems fine driving away at that.

My understanding of film generation (and thanks for the excellent post - snipped due to length) was that a sufficient flow was needed to the bearing to generate the wedge but pressure feed was more or less irrelevant. I know that it's not loaded the same as a big end but I;ve had bikes with a maximum pressure of 3 or 4 psi and plain bearings on the camshafts. Big ends were journal rollers though of course.

Reply to
Chris Street

Well yes. You'd have to do an electrics check every trailer change. As for the rest I check weekly having established the general rate of decay of the various items. The car never loses oil between changes (3 monthly/6k miles), the tyres need pumping only every month or so and so on. Still check em weekly though.

Reply to
Malc

The pressures just to get the oil there, the faster you spin the bearing the more oil it sprays out , so you need a higher feed pressure. HOwever I suspect that the higher pressures are to the cam lobes lubricated, not the big ends.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Yes & if it hasn't got any then it won't start & you won't see burnt blue oil smoke out the back.

Reply to
DuncanWood

That's what I think too.

Reply to
Zathras

The message from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

Oi! Some of us still /aspire/ to SOCs.

Reply to
Guy King

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King saying something like:

I've still got one... it's a SOJC [1], though, so utterly boring and bland in its shiteness. It just goes, every day, on and on.

I bought it to take the strain off the Tranny - no point in running the van into the ground when a SOC can do the unpaid mileage.

[1] Japanese
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Chris Street wrote: [snip]

The engine form that became popular after SV ;¬)

Reply to
Pete

Yes, I will.

Indeed I shall do the basic checks as before, albeit perhaps more frequently. While some weeks the car gets

Reply to
news-03

Reply to
Chris Street

And if you had a newsreader that threaded posts properly you'd have realised that at this point in the thread he hadn't mentioned that.

Reply to
Conor

Why is it? You wouldn't know as you've not checked anything.

Reply to
Conor

I'm using a first class newsreader thank you.

Ian stated that his car was laid up in MID date stamped 31/1/05 at 22:28

You called him a prick in MID date stamped 1/2/05 at

16:05. That's almost a full day later.

Perhaps you should consider reading all the unread posts in a thread before launching into one of your immature outbursts. In any case, I think you owe Ian an apology.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

You may be such a sad doley arse that you have the time to end up readintg things twice but I don't.

Thats up to Ian to ask for or are you his bitch?

Reply to
Conor

Wrong again.

No one mentioned reading things twice. Reading it once might have helped you in this case.

Any decent bloke wouldn't need to be asked but you obviously don't fall into that category

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Oh, FFS Conor! You are infering that because I did not check the oil in twelve hundred miles, then it must follow that I never check the tyres, brakes or even lights! *That* is why.

Reply to
news-03

It usually follows especially as from a financial POV, checking the oil is more important than checking a sidelight bulb.. Experience in the motor trade plus listening to the comments of people I encounter re- enforce it.

Reply to
Conor

Depends on the car, those that use hardly any oil aren't worth checking, thoose that do are.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Um, how do you know if it uses oil, if you don't check? Do you wait for the costly grinding of metal on metal, or are you just guessing?

Really, I'd love to hear the logic behind your statement.

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore