(OT) speeding fine :(

Apologies for the somewhat off-topic post, I hope you don't mind.

I got a speeding fine through the post yesterday, 37 mph in a 30 mph area, and before you say it, yes I know, somebody doing that doesn't have an excuse, and deserves what they get.

However, the paperwork offers some options. I can simply pay the fine of

60 pounds and take the 3 points endorsement. I can argue the case, or apparently I can attend a course on driving.

This course option was a surprise, does anybody know anything about it, and what's actually involved?

Thanks for any thoughts, sorry for the O/T post.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Angus Manwaring ("Angus Manwaring" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I gather it's a half day of getting a patronising lecture along the lines of "God kills a kitten every time you do 31mph", look contrite, pay for the course, and no points.

Do it. Tell us how it went. (Oh, and I understand they don't like it if you can't keep a straight face)

Reply to
Adrian

You pay about £100 and go on a day's course - Very boring by all accounts!. You don't get endorsed with three points. Was it in Wales by any chance??

Reply to
Matt

I guess that's my fault then for sorting out your power problem on the golf? ;>) You know how it is Angus, "Speed kills" LOL. What a crock. JB

(still waiting for my court date from Dorset's finest. Arse.)

Reply to
JB

What was wrong with the Golf then?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I know someone who went on one. £150ish quid, patronising in the way you describe, some dubious driving techniques by the sound of it.

I think I'd take the points and slow down- that was what I did a few years ago, the only time I've been caught, but that was before the "courses" were about.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Oh, and it was a full day, at least.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I saw a new unmarked car on the M5 in Worcestershire yesterday, a black Vovlo estate. They also had a couple of cops on one of the bridges with a speedgun. I don't know if they clocked me, I did slow down from slightly over the limit (alledgedly or something) as soon as I saw them which was a bit sooner than the BMW driver in the outside lane. What a pointless waste of time, it's not as though the motorways aren't built for speed for heaven's sake. If they were in a 30 mph limit, or outside a school or by a series of dangerous bends then I would have no argument. Easy targeting again methinks.

Reply to
malc

ironic thing is the motoways were built for high speed movement of vehicles and they were never subject to speed limits until the seventies

Reply to
steve robinson

The 70 mph National Speed Limit was introduced as a temporary measure in December 1965. It is often blamed on Barbara Castle, but at the time the Minister of Transport was Tom Fraser. The reason given was a spate of serious accidents in foggy conditions, but it is often claimed that the MoT had been alarmed by AC Cars testing their latest Cobra on the M1 at speeds up to 180 mph.

It was confirmed as a permanent limit in 1967, by which time Barbara Castle (a non-driver) had become Minister of Transport.There was surprisingly little debate at the time: the fact that the average family car of the time could only just exceed 70 mph perhaps had something to do with this....

Reply to
Matt

These guidelines set out the minimum figures at which a Fixed Penalty Notice and a Court Summons would normally be considered appropriate for a speeding offence, if there are no other aggravating circumstances. The minimum figure for a FPN is the posted limit + 10% + 2 mph. These figures are shown in the table below: The ACPO Speed Enforcement Guidelines Speed Limit (mph) Fixed Penalty Summons 20 25 35 30 35 50 40 46 66 50 57 76 60 68 86 70 79 96

Reply to
Matt

I did the course. It was the same cost as the fine but no points on the license

Held at Northampton football ground

It was a bit dull, was a 3 hour evening session with tea and biscuits thrown in

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Initially MAP was at ATM. No boost at all. Quick look about and found pipe disconnected from the N75 valve. Reconnected then ran a log on MAF, MAP etc. MAF was intermittently ropey and MAP now good. Owner reported much more 'zoom, zoom'! Since then he's had a couple of limp home mode moments which from the codes seem to be MAP related (high deviation rather than low). MAF log (claculated vs actual) now looked much worse, so I think Angus is buying a new MAF soon. I'll do another scan for him afterwards. I'm learning about Golfs as the SO wants a TDi soon.

JB

Reply to
JB

================================= The guidelines also include this statement amongst other stuff:

"The Police Service now uses technology that enables it to prove that an offence has been committed as soon as a driver exceeds the relevant speed limit by a very small margin. Motorists will therefore be at risk of prosecution immediately they exceed any legal speed limit.

The guidance to police officers is that it is anticipated that, other than in the most exceptional circumstances, the issue of fixed penalty notices and summonses is likely to be the minimum appropriate enforcement action as soon as the following speeds have been reached:"

Maybe it's time the Government did its job and produced more realistic limits in line with modern motoring. Most people would be more inclined to respect realistic and firm limits which don't depend on the arbitrary will of individual policemen. It's the business of Parliament to make laws - not Chief Constables.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Matt ("Matt" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes, dear. We can figure out limit+10%+2 in our heads, thanks.

Reply to
Adrian

I often drive at 140+ mph...where its legal...if bad weather, muuuuuuuuuuch slower, it depends on the conditions, each time i am back in UK from overseas, i hit 40mph road works...4am, no soddin other cars, no workmen...and a nightmare.

Often after than, when back on M1, im doing 100mph, only car on the road, not on purpose but i look at the conditions im driving in, then i look down at the speedo.

At the moment im driving a German car, its a nightmare with no mph on the dash..

Reply to
Jules

I've read that it involves being patronized for a short time. A bit shit, but better than 3 points I guess...

Reply to
Abo

Why would they? 'They' enjoy a significant revenue stream...

Reply to
Abo

That *we* won't include Matt then. 20+10%+2 equals???? ;-)

Reply to
Zathras

Go on the course. It saves a prosecution so you don't have the hassle of telling your insurance company, etc. You'll have to put your pride on one side while being talked to in a patronising manner for three hours, but you're a grown up, you can take it.

Errindoors went on one last year. The thing she was most worried about, was spending the afternoon in a room full of chavs and tearaways, but most of the villains turned out to be housewives and middle aged blokes.

BTW, count yourself lucky for having the choice. Unless the rules have changed, it's only offered on a very narrow speed band.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke