Remould speed advise

For insurance purposes the tyres should be rated at or above the manufacturers specified top speed for the car. Remoulds used on HGV trailers - hence the treads littered on motorways.

Nothing wrong with remoulds but imports can be cheap - purchased a new

165/75/14 balanced and fitted for £25. Not a high mileage car so expect cracks in the tyre wall will be a reason for replacement rather than tread wear.
Reply to
sid

I'd prefer a Colway remould to some 'no brand' import.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'd prefer to throw either away and put something decent on. Even the most expensive tyres are *dirt cheap* when you look at the cost spread over the mileage, compared to fuel. And decent modern branded tyres will be more fuel efficient than s**te, so will probably save money anyway.

I will condede that the economics may vary for a shed with few miles left in it, but the safety margin is also important.

Reply to
Adrian

You'll find they're retreads that are letting go, not remoulds.

Most likely. At least youi're someone who recognises that it's more than just tread depth that decides when a tyre needs changing.

Reply to
Conor

Colway remoulds are very common in motorsport, particularly rallying.

Reply to
Conor

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes, Conor, they are.

So are rollcages. And completely stripped interiors. And numbers on the doors.

Motorsport != Normal Road Use.

So why are remoulds common in motorsport, particularly low budget rallying? Simple. Because they don't need to last very long, but you do need a very aggressive tread in a "normal-car" size. Which you just plain can't get elsewhere.

Point me to any other supplier of a tyre that looks like this :-

in "normal car" sizes. Especially for only £40-50 each. For rallying, it's a no brainer. Especially when Colway do a lot of rally sponsorship, so probably competitor deals.

When you can get a new, name brand tyre for £15 more than a remould, with a far longer life expectancy - again, it's a no brainer. Just not in the same direction.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

That's "not equal to" just in case we have to go through that again.

Reply to
Guy King

No-name tyres are a false economy, as you find out the first time you have to pull up rather sharp-ish on a damp or wet road.....

Colway remoulds are dirt cheap and very good. Especially the super sticky ones :-)

Reply to
SteveH

And harder use thus needing to be more durable.

Looks like proper 4x4 tyres.

Nearly the same as some Yokos.

Look like proper 4x4 tyres.

Reply to
Conor

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

I had Nexens on the Audi - and found their grip wet and dry was very good - they just didn't last very long. I replaced the front pair with Goodyears today, see how long they last.

Reply to
Guy King

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

But not worried about longevity.

Don't they just? But look at the range of sizes available.

Available in :-

165/70R10 155/70R12 165R13 185/70R13 165/70R14 185/65R14 155R15 165R15 195/60R15 185/70R15

145R10 165/70R10 155/70R12 155R13 165R13 185/70R13 165/70R14 195/60R15

I think you'll find that was my point.

Reply to
Adrian

Going slightly OT - the RAF used to scrap fast jet tyes when worn out. Now they get remoulded as do most civillian airliner tyres.

0 to 150 MPH plus instantly with several tons ( 100's of tons on a 747 ) - some remoulds can take it

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

( snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Slightly different case - the carcasses are specifically designed for it. Passenger car tyres aren't.

Reply to
Adrian

I'd say aircraft tyres have a rather more controlled life than car ones?

Runways don't generally have kerbs, speed humps or potholes. And the tyre pressures are likely checked more often than many cars?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)