Vauxhall servicing!

Or anything expensive enough to be worth some labour. But I remember rebuilding 70s engine designs at 70K, I rarely take a cylinder head off nowadays despite pushing 150K.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Is the SAAB 9000 a diesel?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nevvar heard of a Saab 9000 diesel, don't believe they ever exists. (Unless someone has swapped the engine).

Reply to
johannes

I am sure that there must have been petrol cars also from the later

1990s whose oil change interval was short by todays standards.

David

Reply to
David

Oh indeed - some rare exotics. Ferrari, perhaps. But not the likes of SAAB or Vauxhall.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, my 2003 Focus 1.6 petrol had a oil change interval of 12,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. Therefore if the owner is doing

4,000 miles p.a. then doesn't that 4,000 miles become the oil change interval ?

What is the specified interval for your SD1, and how many miles p.a. do you cover in it, as long as you don't find that question too impertinent ? ;-)

David

Reply to
David

That would make the car some 50 years old, given the mileage.

10,000 miles. But it gets an annual oil change these days. Since that's what the book states if less than 10,000 miles a year. But not using a high price synthetic designed for extended service intervals.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Synth is often specified for (petrol) turbo cars, more resistant to the high temperatures in the turbo. Doesn't need to be expensive if you use supermarket synth oil. In fact the oil/petrol cost ratio for 4000 miles is insignificant =£20/£720.

Reply to
johannes

Sorry, I do not understand this reply ^

I meant that the service schedule for oil change was 12,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first, according to the manufacturer.

It gets an annual oil change, and that would be if you covered 500 miles p.a., or 10,000 miles p.a. ....?

You stated: "I'd hate to have a car which could only do 4000 miles between oil changes. Last one of those I owned was made in the '50s. "

Yet, if you covered 4,000 miles p.a. in your SD1, then you'd have a

4,000 mile oil change interval.

Too many oil changes is preferable to too few.

David

Reply to
David

Well yes. In context of the original post which I quoted. Read it carefully.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Is an annual oil change if under 10,000 miles too difficult to understand? It might be 0 miles or 9,999 depending on usage. Just done every year if less than 10,000.

What's wrong with just doing it correctly? There is no evidence that changing oil early is any benefit whatsoever. And it wastes money time and resources.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But then what is 'correctly'? How long is a piece of string? Manufacturers don't have longevity at their heart, as long as the engine is good for 100,000 miles. What if you think the engine has been worked hard, or if the oil looks dodgy?

Reply to
johannes

I was writing about your response to Johannes whom stated that he changed his oil at 4,000 mile intervals.

I was pointing out that if your SD1 did 4,000 miles p.a. then you would have a car you'd hate, according to your own words, thats all. I was being tongue in cheek, though not successfully.

(I'll never get this 'how to communicate' thing)

How many cars *are* serviced correctly ? How long is a piece of string ? I recently went with someone to view an Approved Used VW Golf 1.4 TSi. The service records showed that it had just had the first oil change at

3 1/4 years, and 33.000 miles, and the mechanics had not done the required brake fluid change. On VWs, first after three years, then two thereafter. Way off schedule, and IMHO, too few oil changes and should not have been an Approved Used VW.

wastes money time and

Surely, that is Johannes' choice ?

What happens to used engine oil ? Is it being recycled yet ? Can it be reformulated ?

David

Reply to
David

On 13/03/2012 14:44, David wrote: [...sorry, have to cut some lines...]

Used oil is either taken to a communal re-cycling centre, or given to a garage who can use it for heating. I was told at the recycling centre that they strictly only allow oil disposal once a year, i.e. you are not allowed to come back again with oil within 12 months.

Reply to
johannes

If you were really interested, you could have a sample of the oil analysed. Those that have done generally find it doesn't need replacing at earlier than maker's recommendations.

BTW, do you change all other fluids and lubricants in the car with the same frequency?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know that I 'should' do, but I don't. However, engine oil has more far reaching consequences: Sludge, degeneration of multi-grade additives, soot and debris contamination (and water if unlucky).

Reply to
johannes

Maybe also fuel dilution too...

David

Reply to
David
[...]

Mine gets mixes 50-50 with "creosote", and applied to the fences and shed each year; one fence is 36 years old, and still in perfect condition.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

A lot of the oil will wash off the with rain and seep into the ground, contaminating water sources. Not good and probably legally dubious.

Reply to
johannes
[...]

Get a life, FFS

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

WTF?!

How do they even know?

With 4 bikes and 3 cars to look after, I go up there fairly often.

Reply to
SteveH