Vauxhall servicing!

I once came with 10 bottles x 5 litres, they didn't like and handed me a leaflet with rules. But I'm not a business, I had just collected too much used oil over a long time. But you can always spread to different centres if there is a problem.

Reply to
johannes

it actually breaks down and grass will still grown in it - I run it along the fence line to stop weeds. Its a natural product anyway.

Reply to
Rob

Yep, the shed I treat is 20 years old and sits on wooden bearers on a lawn. There has been no deterioration of the grass.

The fence is 36 years old, and has a flower border alongside it that is similarly unaffected.

Bearing in mind how thin an oil/creosote mix is, it soaks into the wood virtually instantly. The amount that could be washed off with rain is negligible; it would have to start raining organic solvents for that to become even remotely an issue!

I was given the tip of doing this by an old gardener who had been doing it all his working lifetime. Sometimes, old ways of recycling were perhaps better than some of the things we do now. For example, there will be a negative impact in driving to the tip to recycle used oil.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In theory it is possible to reclaim that used oil. On large engines like say ships there are no routine oil changes - it is simply well filtered and corrected by additives instead. Of course whether this actually happens with the stuff at your council tip is another matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, this is the point I was making regarding Johannes changing the SAAB oil frequently.

I used to see a van running around sussex that was sign written that they recycled oils. Whether it was vegetable oils or not I don't know.

I'm not writing about making fuel oil from vegetable oils, but recycling used engine oils for re-use as engine oil.

I'd like to think that in the near future we would be able to do this cheaply.

David

Reply to
David

I would imagine that would be difficult when dyno, semi- and fully- synthetics are mixed?

I support recycling; however, councils do not make money from it (with the possible exception of glass, and even then few do), they just have to spend a bit less. It's much better all round if an individual can re-use something.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I just wonder how much oil re-cycling the Councils are doing, as they consider it a burden to receive used engine oil. Their only interest seem to be the disposal, i.e. that it's better than pouring it down the drain.

Reply to
johannes

Actually, no. Morris made an 1800 which didn't wear out. It rapidly got dropped. So, the material science and metallurgy was there, even back then.

Reply to
grimly4