What An MOT Experience Today...

So you think vehicles shouldn't be capable of braking with a load then Conor?

Or do you think VOSA are getting it wrong?

Clue. Read the first half of the post. The half you snipped.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Our local council also offers MOTs, same situation.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

but you run into the problem having to pay for a re-test as the vehicle has left the testing station, unless they offer free re-tests say with in a week, but with computerisation coming into effect I doubt it very much, where as if you left the car at a testing station that does in house repairs there would be no re-test fee.

Reply to
reg

Where did I say that?

Nope.

Reply to
Conor

So what if anything is your point conor?

I suggested that perhaps the same testing conditions may be applied to small goods vehicles as apply to large ones, ie test the brakes with the rear axle loaded to capacity.

I based this on the fact that the laws of physics are the same for both types of vehicle, and the obvious requirement for both to be able to stop with a load on.

Which part of this are you suggesting makes me "such an arse"?

And why?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The message from "reg" contains these words:

I've not had an MOT since the new system came alive, but I've never paid for a re-test in my life, no matter where I've taken it.

Reply to
Guy King

conor doesnt have a point at all, he's a silly kid whos mummy should have put IT to bed a long time ago.

Reply to
Saleh Jambo

its going to be interesting times ahead to see what stations will still offer free re-tests after they have gone on-line, we don't offer free re-tests anymore, as in the old days it was a " quick squint " under the car and a ticket issued, normally only taking a few minutes, but now the vehicle has to be logged back on ect ect, but as I said in a previous post if its left at the testing station then no re-test fee.

Reply to
reg

I did so and it lists 35! Thanks for the comment. Terry

Reply to
Terry

0.481 is a big fail! I have sold my last car along with the paperwork, but what I do remember is that the figures for emissions were well below the accepted levels, so much so I thought it near impossible to fail these, and I took the car in 1st thing in the morning, the car was hardly warm.
Reply to
Avanti

Seems to have missed out the place with the most, Northern Ireland.

Reply to
ThePunisher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "shazzbat" saying something like:

The brake proportioning valve to the rear brakes should ensure that the rear shouldn't lock up when the van is empty. I know, I know... many vans are chronic for that even if the valve is working fine - more an illustration of poor design than anything else. I can see the tester's point though. If the valve is working the load shouldn't be needed and perhaps the regs insist the load area is empty.

That strikes me as bending the rules.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

They're the ones doing the test. You comply with the way they want to do it. They have the eqiupment to make sure the loading is right.

Reply to
Conor

Well I have to say I was puzzled as to why my MOT-only station, one of three branches of a small chain, were not using the computerised system, but for now retests are still free.

In any event, I am pretty sure that the full cost of a test is less than the cost of paying someone to do work which I am perfectly capable of myself.

There are several main dealerships within walking distance of this MOT station. Ask yourself why they all use it for their MOTs.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Yes I do

They have the eqiupment to make sure the loading is right.

No they haven't. Or VOSA haven't. You choose.

None of the above, or the matter of the load compensating valve, explain the difference in testing requirements.

You could simply have said you don't know.

Also you seem to still ignore the question, what is it about querying the difference that makes me "such an arse"

So what is it Conor?

Reply to
shazzbat

Hello group,

Please find below for reference, a link to a photograph of one of the rear brakes for this vehicle.... These brakes are pretty new as you can see. No defects were found with the brakes, including wheel cylinders, other than the performance the tester is suggesting. Sorry about the quality of the photograph.

John

Reply to
John

Focus! Is your camera fixed focus? In which case, take the photo from further away and crop it later. The gravel in the background is beautifully sharp...

cheers, clvie

Reply to
Clive George

:-)

It's taken from close enough to need macro mode.

Reply to
Chris Whelan

beautifully

Hello Clive,

Yes, the camera is fixed focus. Didn't realise the photographs were not sharp when I took them this morning. Unfortunately the brakes drums are back on now ready for re-presenting to the testing station tomorrow.

John

Reply to
John

Are the leading edges of the shoes chamfered? (Lack of enough chamfer can cause premature lock-up).

Reply to
z_ronic