What An MOT Experience Today...

Something to look at:

BET Test flowchart:

Cat Test Flowchart (1/8/94 - 31/8/2002):
Your Fiesta would need a vehicle specific Cat Test.

It failed the first fast idle, and the second fast idle results are very similar. Your engine needs diagnostic work to find the cause of the high emissions.

The model 'Fiesta Engine Type' has been truncated by the emissions computer. The full version should read something along the lines of 'Fiesta Engine Type OHV/HCS'.

--------------------------------------------- Visit The MOT Forum:

NT

reg ( snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.fsten.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Again - the odd exception. But a '95-built Fester certainly would not be excepted in any way?

So - Reg - you're an experienced tester. Can you see ANY reason why John's Fester should have passed, given the emissions results and the rear brake results he's quoted?

I see no problem in the judgement call on the indicator bulb - I'd hazard a guess that if everything else had passed, John would have left with a pass cert and a "change that bulb".

You've also stated that you think there's a certain amount of bollocks being posted - ignoring your spat with Conor - what and where?

Seriously - there's some useful info to be gained here.

Reply to
Adrian

Ooops, my aplogies. The above links were for Class V.

Follow the Class IV links at the following address:

NT

BET Test:

If it fails this, then do:
Right, that's better. Sorry about hastily posting the Class V links. The end result is the same, though. The Fiesta requires a vehicle specific cat test.

Reply to
NT

Yes, but if it's pre-K reg (that date is the start of K reg), you can de-cat it and no-one's any the wiser.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

no your correct there.

nope it shouldnt have passed, it was " way " over the limit & im sure the tester did the emission test correctly, the gas analizer is programmed so that you follow the insturctions on the screen, if an oil temp probe was used then there is no way that the gas machine would let you go any further if it wasnt warm enough, it will proceed once the oil temp was up to 80 degrees c or over, you dont have to use one you can by pass it and use the temp guage, coolant fan cutting or the coolant pipes warm, but to be honest ive lost the will to live reading the thread.

the brakes were just plain un-lucky , if it was me id have re-done the brake test before i entered the data into the computer as it was very close to a pass, but once you've entered the data into the computer it decides pass or fail, just unfortunate that one.

yep

no, i dont think theres any bollocks, that was Connor's perception, i just cant belive this thread has gone on for this long for something that could have been sorted out days ago

id agree with you there, no one knows it all , just seems to get heated at times.

Reply to
reg

NT ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I was about to say...

So - if John's N-reg (therefore post 1/8/95 *registered*/"first used") Fester isn't in the book, it goes by the default limits - which it missed on the CO.

Which begs the question - Is it in the book, with a vehicle specific CO limit of 0.5% or more?

This raises another question.

My May '96 registered Cit XM was tested against limits lower than the defaults. The sheet shows it as "Engine Size : 2200" - it isn't. It's the usual couple of cc under 2 litre. There was no 2.2 XM - the nearest was

2188cc, but that was diesel.

So... Where'd these numbers come from? The make/model are blank, but the reg is filled in. Has it pulled from the registration? If so, why haven't those other fields pulled through?

Reply to
Adrian

but if for any reason on any part of the test you need a date to be certain if its going to a pass or fail criteria you can ask for the v5 to be produced, we always insist on it, saves so much hassle in the long run.

Reply to
reg

Aye, I can appreciate that. Though I can't imagine loads of people with cars within 2-3 years newer than K reg flocking out to get J reg cherished plates put on :-D

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The engine code is required for the Fiesta to determine the test it should receive...

John, What is your engine code ?

Reply to
NT

don't yer just hate it when it fails the BET test then you set it up for the full test and the bugger passes straight away !!!!!

Reply to
reg

err that's why you use oil temperature as the guide.

Reply to
Duncanwood

John wrote on Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:03:59 GMT:

Oh. Sorry.

I fully retract everything I said. Your car should have passed.

Go straight to court now. Sue the MOT station, call the newspapers, get VOSA to shut down the garage.

Reply to
David Taylor

Whether I'm real or not I'm still well aware that on it's test the locking wheel will pass because it's clearly locking and sliding on the roller and the emmisions will almost certainly be fine after a good warm-up run.

If John wants to wind you up in the meantime that's great by me! I'm enjoying watching!

Reply to
danny_deever2000

Reply to
danny_deever2000

"Conor"

If that is all you did learn to gain your CGLI qualification (you say you have) you didn't have your ears pinned back.

John

Reply to
John

"NT"

Engine Number: SL02136

John

Reply to
John

: In addition to my other posts on this subject, I found it interesting to : note how many waste exhaust units were lying outside the MOT garage, but few : other waste metal items. Regular habit of this garage I wonder, to fail : exhaust emissions on MOTs?

What do you suppose the most commonly replaced metal bits on cars are?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

: Because the vehicle was roadworthy when presented to the test station for it : MOT test.

In the case of the emissions, how do you know that

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

The catalyst starts operating once the monolith has attained a temperature of 250 - 270 degrees C, the temperature (commonly known as light-off). Under normal operating conditions the catalyst maintains a temperature of between

400 - 600 degrees. Allowing a car to cool down significantly and then attempting to warm the engine oil using a free revving engine is certainly not the way this vehicle or others are normally operated.

John

Reply to
John