What An MOT Experience Today...

"Jimmy"

Oh but Jimmy, this garage has failed the vehicle on the emissions test despite the fast idle lambda readings and CO idle limits being within the prescribed limits. So, why are so many people screaming this car should fail?

Fools and their money are easily parted, and there are a few fools here in this newsgroup it seems :-)

John

Reply to
John

"David Taylor"

Thread starting to warm up and getting a bit *too* technical for Dave now :-)

John

Reply to
John

And what are the prescribed limits you think apply to this car for CO and why is it different to a max of 0.3

Indeed you are a fool.

Reply to
Jimmy

Jimmy ( snipped-for-privacy@invalidaddress.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Hmmm. Mine gave a max of 0.2% for that, and 0.3% for natural idle.

Against limits of?

Not necessarily - according to the pass sheet I got on Monday, it wouldn't.

Idle - (955rpm, they must have had the aircon on) CO = max 0.30% (Mine passed - 0.01%)

Fast idle - (2580rpm) CO = max 0.20% (Mine passed - 0.10%) HC = max 200ppm (Mine passed - 5ppm)

I don't recall the Lambda min/max limits, but mine was *bang* on 1.00.

Reply to
Adrian

John ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Bwaahahahahah - it lost you somewhere around your first post.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Tell you what, John, why not post the full results from your emission printout, including the pass/fail levels?

Reply to
Adrian

:

Actually the 0.3 figure is the natural idle BET test limit.

We know it failed that and went onto a full cat test. The data in the analyser for the Ford Fiesta full cat test would allow up to 0.5 CO

Reply to
Jimmy

Jimmy ( snipped-for-privacy@invalidaddress.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah, 'kay. I've never had one fail the quick test.

Well, it's a Fester, I s'pose.

So - John - any chance of the complete emissions printout?

Reply to
Adrian

Emissions results, engine code, and build date from VIN number (two letters before the last group of numbers) would be helpful, too.

Was the MOT VT30 a red printed sheet, or a blue handwritten one ?

-------------------------------- Visit The MOT Forum:

NT

John wrote on Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:10:12 GMT:

You said the CO reading (for either the fast idle, or natural idle test, I can't recall which right now and it's irrelevant) was around 0.4 compared to the limit of 0.3.

The tester's manual on ukmot.com clearly states:

Reasons for rejection:

... b. In the 2nd fast idle test, one or more of the following exceeds the vehicle specific or default limits continuously for the last 5 seconds of the 30 second countdown" . Carbon monoxide (CO) . Hydrocarbons (HC) . Lambda (l)

c. In the idle test. the following gas exceeds the vehicle specific or default limit continuously for the last 5 seconds of the 30 second countdown: . Carbon monoxide (CO) ...

Why would you expect it to pass?

Well, you were willing to give the tester ANOTHER 44 quid without doing anything to fix the items it failed on. So yes, there is at least one fool who is easily parted from his money in here.

Reply to
David Taylor

He has said somewhere it was a printed (computerised) test therefore the VOSA computer did the brake calculations.

Reply to
Jimmy

Your comments that we're all talking crap. If you ARE an MOT tester, you'll have no problem uploading a scan of your certificate and posting a link will you?

Reply to
Conor

Of course it is. I'm only imagining the CGLI 383 Pt2 I have...

Reply to
Conor

Actually it is, especially with regard to the brakes. The only age relevent part is the CAT.

More than you.

Reply to
Conor

AND THAT BEARS NO EFFECT ON THE BRAKES FAILING.

Reply to
Conor

OK, I'm a qualified mechanic. Quite happy to scan my CGLI certificates including the modules sections showing MERIT and DISTINCTIONS if you want proof.

Explain it to me.

Reply to
Conor

BRAKES.

Reply to
Conor

Prescribed limits for a non CAT.

Emissions aside, the BRAKES for a start.

Reply to
Conor

WOOOOOWWWW.

Dave...I humbly salute your usenet ability to post the mother of all rebuking put downs.

Reply to
Conor

So now you're arguing that they're using the wrong analyser?

Reply to
Conor