What An MOT Experience Today...

reg ( snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.fsten.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And if you'd bothered to read, you'd understand that in taking the car away, the tester MUST do a complete test, not a partial retest, when the car is next presented, and is entitled to charge full fee to do so.

He's perfectly entitled to say "No, sorry, I'm too busy to do a test. If you leave it with me for the work, then I'll try and fit it in for the test, too."

By working on the car after taking it away, the OP also removed any possibility of appealing to VOSA.

Reply to
Adrian

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I think it's your round.

Reply to
Adrian

But the OP wasn't whinging about having to have a full retest done, and being charged accordingly.

Well what's the problem with "too busy now - leave it there and I'll do the retest when I can fit it in", then?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

AstraVanMan ( snipped-for-privacy@Whataloadofforeskinbollocks.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Reads that way to me.

"I won't stand being ripped off. I am £44.00 light and a vehicle with no test certificate."

I rather suspect the OP rolled up and demanded it was done NOW. Is there a requirement for MOT testers to undertake "Customer Satisfaction Skills" courses?

Reply to
Adrian

Not sure how this is relevant your point is to the original post, but this is nothing unusual it seems. However, to put you out of your misery, I am a Health & Safety officer for a large company.

John

Reply to
John

"AstraVanMan" But the OP wasn't whinging about having to have a full retest done, and

That's right, not at all. I expected a full inspection on retest and to be charged as appropriate.

This was not what the MOT garage wanted. They wanted to do work on the vehicle, and charge me of course for that work. I wanted a retest (Monday), which was arranged with them on the day of the original test.

Reply to
John

Your suspicions are ill founded. The retest was arranged with the garage. I turned up for that retest as arranged by them.

John

Reply to
John

ROTFLOL

A Health & Safety officer gumbling his car does not pass a safety test.

Reply to
Jimmy

"Jimmy"

No quite Jimmy...

1) Taking a vehicle for a test and expecting the tester to follow the MOT testing procedures. 2) Expecting the vehicle to be issued a test certificate. 3) Not expecting for a garage owner to see a 10 year old car and think he can make an easy buck. If you haven't already, please read the full posts on this subject. In addition to my other posts on this subject, I found it interesting to note how many waste exhaust units were lying outside the MOT garage, but few other waste metal items. Regular habit of this garage I wonder, to fail exhaust emissions on MOTs?

John

Reply to
John

John wrote on Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:09:26 GMT:

Had _you_ done any repair work before you took it back?

If not, he was just saving you 44 quid.

Reply to
David Taylor

He did, he did a full cat test himself, didn't he? He tested the brakes himself didn't he? He checked the lights himself didn't he? What steps have YOU taken to since rectify the emission fail?

You got one - A FAIL - Brakes, lights, emissions

And the PROOF of that is??

I have done. Best laugh in this group for ages.

So??? they fit a lot of exhausts, so do many garages. Was there a big bin of old orange bulbs as well?

Reply to
Jimmy

The message from "John" contains these words:

Why would you expect it to be issued a certificate if it failed?

Reply to
Guy King

I didn't want him to carry out any repairs. I had no problems with paying the retest fee of £44.00 as the vehicle had left the test centre.

John

Reply to
John

"Guy King"

Because the vehicle was roadworthy when presented to the test station for it MOT test.

John

Reply to
John

Cos he is Health & Safety officer, Do as I say, I know best.

Reply to
Jimmy

No it wasn't, the emission analyser said it was emitting too much CO The Brake Test Machine said they were not to standard.

Your car failed, accept it, repair it, get it retested and move on.

Reply to
Jimmy

Answer the question. Had _you_ done any repair work before you took it back?

Reply to
Jimmy

No he didn't carry out any of the two exhaust emissions tests by himself. In fact, the first test was not done by him at all - Your point is? He did test the brakes performnace himself - Your point is? He did check the lights around the vehicle himself - Your point is? I have done nothing since the original MOT test to rectify any alledged defect in relation to the exhaust emissions not falling within the prescribed standards.

I think you really do have to read the full posts before you say any more on this subject.

John

Reply to
John

"Jimmy"

Jimmy *please*, you really can't be serious..! ...The fact an exhaust emission analyser displays something on a printout does not mean a vehicle is unroadworthy. Testing procedures have to be followed or the test is void. The brake testing machine didn't fail the brake performance, the tester did. If there was something to repair that caused this vehicle to be unsafe (or to genuinely fail an MOT), I would do it, this is my 19yr old daughter's car after all.

John

Reply to
John

*snort*