What An MOT Experience Today...

The message from "John" contains these words:

However, this won't get you an MOT.

Reply to
Guy King

"David Taylor"

In all cases what you say is not strictly true for vehicles having been refused a test certificate. You must also remember, the content of the MOT test is not a replacement for decisions of the court in relation to C&U offences.

That's one for later David, sorry not for discussion at this time, but I will come back to the newsgroup on it.

John

Reply to
John

No, not from this tester :-)

John

Reply to
John

If the engine had been running for ten minutes on the ramp it will have been warm enough. The testers screen gives him options for satisfying himself that it is warmed up. These are -

Oil temperature as indicated by the equipment.

Cooling fan cuts in.

Coolant hoses feel sufficiently warm. (Can't remember the exact wording, but that's the gist)

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

John wrote on Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:05:18 GMT:

Unroadworthy is perhaps the wrong term. The fact is that is has failed the MOT test (justly or not), and so cannot be driven except for various limited exceptions.

Fair enough. Until that time don't expect anyone to have any sympathy for you based on your assertion that your car should pass.

Reply to
David Taylor

roflmao Danny what an excellent reply , i pissed my self when i read that.

i do mot's and have done for the last 25 years and some of the replys ive read here are priceless, its almost worth printing all of them off and giving them to my local VOSA guy, give him a chuckle over a cup of tea when he pops in ;o)

Reply to
reg

It is interesting to note that none of those who have a lot to say for themselves about my post has actaully asked the exact age and/or date of registration of the vehicle yet, as I didn't comment upon this on the OP.

John

Reply to
John

An A.E ( authorised examiner ) cannot refuse to test a vehicle, they cannot pick & choose what vehicles they test, unless its a class of vehicle they don't have authority to test or as defined in the refusal to test section.

scroll down you will findthe Refusal to Test section. this part is taken from the manual section B page 10 B5 2.

Test Appointments.

  1. AEs must offer an appointment to test any vehicle of a class within their authorisation at the earliest practicable date and time bearing in mind their existing MOT workload.

you should all buy a copy it makes interesting reading !

Reply to
reg

reg ( snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.fsten.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah. fair enough.

Reply to
Adrian

"John"

Why is that interesting?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

John ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oooh! Me, Sir! Please, Sir!

Is it a "Ford Fiesta MK3 1995 with a low mileage (39,000), a two owner vehicle, which is very clean and tidy, with none of the usual 'patching up' you find on some auction vehicles."

It's in your original post, , you human goldfish.

Not that it makes any difference.

Reply to
Adrian

Zackly. Took me all of about 2 seconds to find it.

*ding*

It's post August '92, so the more stringent "cat test" will apply. That's all anyone kneads to no (spell checked, so can't be wrong).

Reply to
AstraVanMan

From the original post

Post 92 so a cat test "may" apply. (could be a carb equipped none cat, none engine management Fiesta that was on the "Ford Airfield" for 3 years, slowly rotting away till it was sold to an unsuspecting OAP.

Forget the above, - cat test needed.

At this age/vehicle usual roller brake test and light test applies.

Reply to
Jimmy

As for the emissions, I'd start with the Lambda, it's not unknown for a 'newish' one to fail, which throws the results all over the place.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

Someone who really should have known better presented a bunch of young mums at the playgroup with a recipe for playdough[1] containing the instruction "Kneed the dough thoroughly".

[1] There really are people who don't know you can make it and don't buy it 'cos it's too expensive.
Reply to
Guy King

We too leave ours outside for the scrap man to collect. Other metal waste - balljoints, wishbones, discs, drums, etc goes in a scrap metal bin for collection. Steering racks, calipers, starter motors etc are all returned for reconditioning.

If a car fails MOT on exhaust emissions, then you don't change the exhaust to fix it. You require diagnostic work to find out why the emissions are high.

Fiesta OHV engines are prone for failing on emissions. Perhaps that's why the previous owner put it in the auction.

Reply to
NT

You should follow your own advice..

Apparently it is.

They were. The pile of shit failed.

Reply to
Conor

So therefore the car failed both the emmissions and the brake test according to the required pass figures specified by VOSA.

Reply to
Conor

John...

He took the readings of a gas analyser and fed them into the computer. He took the readings from the brake tester and fed them into the computer.

The computer compared them to the values given by VOSA and issued a fail.

YOUR CAR FAILED. There was no deviousness on the part of the tester on those two items.

Reply to
Conor

So it was done correctly..

Except it won't. At idle with no air flowing through the rad, it'll heat up quickly.

Prove he was incorrect. Show us where.

Reply to
Conor