What An MOT Experience Today...

"Adrian"

Whatever value VOSA are happy with for the vehicle to be issued a statutory test certificate.

John

Reply to
John

John ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

John - a question.

What CO value do YOU think your Fester should have to pass?

Reply to
Adrian

FFS you little cretin. READ WHAT I SAID

For YOUR vehicle the pass/fail for the lambda is between 0.95 and 1.09

Those are between 0.97 and 1.03

The tester inputted the correct age/engine so the analyser set the pass/fail criteria between 0.95 and 1.09

Reply to
Jimmy

John ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, very relevant. Stop trying to play with snipping out of context.

That refers only to passing the Lambda test. Yours passed the Lambda test.

The car has to pass ALL OF Lambda, HC and CO. Yours passed TWO of the three. And failed one.

Reply to
Adrian

John ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Right. Which is?

The fail sheet you have says 0.3% - but you don't like that answer, because your car produced damn near 0.5%.

Reply to
Adrian

Right. So you're seriously telling us that the Mk3 Fiesta *isn't* listed in said book?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In other words VOSA accept that those engines' emission systems are a bit s**te, and in compiling their figures, give them a bit more leway (sp?), and it *still* failed.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Nice one John! Keep winding up the pond life!

Be sure to post when the obvious 20 minute drive sorts the emmisions out and you fly through the test!

Reply to
danny_deever2000

Exactly

Reply to
Jimmy

"Adrian"

Incorrect Adrian. There is nothing mentioned about having to meet certain CO/HC limits within the instruction to testers and also in the public forum. The instruction from VOSA is very clear. I repeat.... VOSA: "...if the lambda is 1.06 and it fails on defaults but all vehicles of this type listed in the In Service Emissions data book are allowed between 0.95 to 1.09, then pass it...."

John

Reply to
John

Can't wait :-)

John

Reply to
John

What they would not accept is: An AE flouting the prescribed testing standards, by allowing the catalyst to cool significantly by first leaving the car switched off, then allowing a non VOSA authorised tester to leave the car sitting slow idling for 10 minutes, then allowing that same person to carry out a statutory test without adhering to the prescribed requirements. Then for the AE to falsify documentation to suggest certain defects were on the vehicle that were not present at the time of the original test.

John

Reply to
John

To those who claim to have been educated in automotive engineering, what did you learn about unnecessarily leaving petrol engined vehicles running at idle speed for excessive periods of time?

John

Reply to
John

So you are saying, You understand the MOT regulations to say, if it passes on the lambda test then the CO and HC figures are irrelevant?

That is so funny. God help the workers who are relying on YOU for their Health and Safety advice.

Reply to
Jimmy

Vehicles built before 01/08/1995 are not required to have a catalytic convertor. VOSA: "Catalytic convertors were introduced from 1st August 1992 and are compulsory after 1st August 1995". This vehicle was apparently built in May 1995. The MOT test carried out by the tester clearly attempted to measure (for the purpose of pass/failing the test) the value of lambda. Therefore the incorrect standards had been applied at the time of the test.

John

Reply to
John

"Jimmy"

What I am actually stating Jimmy, is the instruction provided to MOT testers with the same information provided to the public.

John

Reply to
John

Here's a clue to those who have trouble seeing the obvious... Look at the printout... "Vehilcle Model [=] Fiesta Engine Type"

John

Reply to
John

Ladies & gents, do you honestly believe that VOSA would accept it is reasonable practice not to test a vehicle for an emissions test as and when presented, and condone vehicles being left idling on inspection pits for periods of time? Given VOSA's aims are, "To contribute to the improvement of road safety, environmental standards and to the reduction of vehicle crime" I would very much doubt it. Rather, VOSA would require an MOT garage to carry out an emissions test without unecessary delay, and whilst the vehicle was at its normal working temperature, without the need to attempt atrificially 'warm' the engine with the effect of comsuming of fuel and the resulting emissions of this unecessary action.

John

Reply to
John

I assume you are quoting from the rag "Matters of Testing"

Vosa produce it as a monthly newsletter. Its giving guidance to testers IF THE LAMBDA PART OF THE TEST FAILS. Not as an overriding statement to forget about CO and HC

Reply to
Jimmy

were did I say you were all talking crap ? I said some of the postings were priceless, you want to learn to read the threads correctly.

what has posting my certificate on here got to do with anything ? which one do you want my original one or the last one I had issued after my 5 yearly refresher course do you want copies of my city & guilds certificates as well & my birth certificate or I could even scan my MOT computerisation smart card, Connor imp a mechanic / mot tester which ive done since ive left school & with the same company which is a small independent garage with a work force of 4, 3 in the workshop & the receptionist, who currently is on holiday in the Maldives.

Why the hell I should have to prove to you what I do a for a living f*ck only knows, you can either take what I do as genuine or not, to be honest Connor I do give a knats whisker what you think.

Reply to
reg