What An MOT Experience Today...

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Give up - he's a troll. I've got fed up with the whole business. He's clearly an annoying little shit who can't see that though there were errors his car's still failed. Worse, he can't bring himself to fix the faults that are there despite claiming concern 'cos it's his daughter's car.

So - in the killfile with it.

Reply to
Guy King

MOT testers often use an engine temperature gauge, or the cooling fan swiching to decide whether or not a vehicle is at its normal operating temperature. This monitors the engine's coolant (water) temperature. However, it is well known that engine oil temperature often lags behind the water temperature.

John

Reply to
John

"Jimmy"

Oh, I suppose in the context of "guide" that is the same sort of "guide" to which testers are required to adhere to, namely the inspection manual.

John

Reply to
John

its gone on too long and its getting peoples backs up now, you don't mind helping , but enough is enough.

Reply to
reg

you have 3 options, oil temp, coolant fan or the coolant pipes hot, the oil temp can be by passed on the BET test & just use the temp gauge as a gauge to tell the tester when its hot enough, im right in thinking you said he used a temp probe,. the mot tester is & should be experienced enough to tell when its warm enough.

.
Reply to
reg

Matters of testing is a magazine tha'ts sent to mot stations for the NT & AE's to read, news whats happening in the mot world , horror storys, we even have a quiz ect ect

the testers manual is our " bible" so to speak, the new one is 3 manuals.

you can buy it from HMSO book stores, invest in one, its an eye opener.

Reply to
reg

Do they? Last time I had a diesel MOTd, they put a big long temperature probe into the dipstick hole (having taken the dipstick out first, obviously).

Reply to
AstraVanMan

John, I think you are starting to talk to yourself.

Long time since a TROLL visited urcm, been fun but I am bored now. You have had a lot of good advice about your fail but you only want to argue.

About to kill file you now and suggest others do the same. Next time you really want help, no one will see your post

FU set

Reply to
Jimmy

aye similar to the one used in a petrol emission test, I did a mondeo once and over did the length of the probe it promptly got munched up, pulled it back out a bit worse for wear !

Reply to
reg

"Jimmy"

Thank goodness, I expect not to hear from you again.

Reply to
John

Oh yes, however in my case the tester simply relied on the message the analyser gave him, that being the oil temperature was 2 degrees centigrade over the minimum required by the machine. This is my view falls far short of that which would have been achieved if the vehicle had been promptly tested. Interestingly, I notice that Sun does not give information on its web site regarding the accuracy of such temperature analysis.

John

Reply to
John

1) It wastes about 2L of fuel an hour. 2) Don't do it in an enclosed area without ventilation.

There is no other downsides.

Reply to
Conor

Why did you feel the need to create a Google groups identity to make you look like you have some support.

Reply to
Conor

So that'd be 0.3% which yours exceeded by ~50%.

Reply to
Conor

So then John, all cars booked in for MOTs will fail the test becauase the MOT tester won't bother to ensure the CAT is warm?

Because that's what your argument against letting them warm up achieves.

Reply to
Conor

So John....

How do you adequately ensure all cars brought for MOT are at a suitable temperature bearing in mind YOU think that allowing them to idle to reach temperature is wrong?

Reply to
Conor

John ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah, right - so by that logic, then as long as it passes the lambda by that sleight of hand, it *must* get a pass - even if the brakes don't work, the seatbelts are held in by a tie-wrap, and all tyres are different sizes - but all completely bald.

Gotcha.

You prize f****it.

Reply to
Adrian

I think you're snipping some qualifying text here.

From 1st August 1992 you had to be able to pass the cat test.

Reply to
SteveH

John ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Again, John, you've out-smarted yourself. Which really isn't difficult.

All UK cars first registered after 1/8/92 HAVE to have cats, unless they fall into a fairly restricted exemption category - I don't recall the details offhand, but I think it's a case of cars that were demonstrably built before that date and not registered until later. IIRC ex-plod Senators are the main one you're likely to come across.

Besides, it's irrelevant to an extent - if the car has a cat, it has to pass the cat test.

Reply to
Adrian

some 92 rover metro's have cats but have an open looped system as opposed to a close lopped so they are tested as non cat cars.

Reply to
reg