[a little OT] Top Gear

heh - I parked my Ford Windstar next to one in the car park at the OCCC in Orlando - I had my show stand crammed in the huge ford, the dodge had a stand about twice the size... Thing is, it still fitted in one parking space - they know how to make car parks in the US

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

ROFL :)

Reply to
Dan405

That's utter bull.

I live out in the country, it's a six mile drive just to get to the nearest shop. I drive an American car and I do the journey most days of the week. I also commute a round trip of 280 miles to work.

Over the years I've driven a wide range of vehicles both ownd and hired and the American, Ford, car that I drive is both the most fun and the fastest point to point of all of them with the exception of my Jag.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, my Californian wife, it's short for Charlotte. :)

Charlie likes big American vehicles, or oddball UK vehicles. She doesn't rate much in-between, and insists that a car needs at least a large capacity V8 to be a proper car anyway - so there's no difference between a 2.0 Mondeo or a 1.3 Ka, it's just a four banger . . . :-/

I do kinda see her point of view . . .

Reply to
DervMan

Erm, would that Jaguar be a Ford too, by any chance? ;)

(I count post 1990 XJ40s, but it's not in a negative way. Whereas the X-type is most definitely a Ford, said like you're chewing a bad-tasting wasp).

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

How so ?

Are you trying to say that "pretty much any American car" has handling approaching that of pretty much any European car ?

Reply to
Nom

...and still a winding country lane ! There's only the couple of miles that is the Gristhorpe-Bypass bit that's straight and A-road like :)

Reply to
Nom

Earlier than that is before my time ! And anyhow, the number still around can be counted on your fingers, so they don't really count :)

Reply to
Nom

Er

That's just stupid !

Reply to
Nom

Yes, it even has a Ford key.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh righto, jings you must have levels of accent tolerance that I'll never rise to. Like Valley girls, you know, they're just soo mall rat Euuuuuuewwww.

I popped out to the local takewaway wagon while I was in Italy for my Friday night porchetta and chips. The bloke serving was pretty monosyllabic but his female assistant was quite chatty. After a bit she asked me if was a foreigner and when I said "Inglese" turned into broad valley girl speak, quite a surprise for me.

Me too, I used to wonder what people saw in cars with huge engines. I used to drive nothing but four pot cars. Then I drove my first four litre six cylinder car and got hooked. I disagree with the American taste for V8s though. Although they make the most magnificent noise, the ultimate has to be the V12. I've had the joy of drivign Merc, BMW and Jaguar V12s and they're a world apart from any other kind of engine.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I se me as more of a FORD F350 SUPER DUTY DUALLY man myself.

The capitals were very deliberate BTW.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

why?

Reply to
Theo

Try rdng bit snpd in rply. Thx.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh FFS, just f*ck off. Please.

It was only a couple of years ago that I made the move from four pot to I6. Mucho annoyance when I realised what I had been missing. Now I'm seriously considering a XJR8 and *now* you say a V12 is the one to have.

5 year old 5.4L V12 78k miles £70K new, now 13,995 Only 11 miles away.

must resist, must resist, must resist...

Reply to
Grant Mason

Well I started off with a string of old shabby Escorts (all Mk3s) - mostly

1.1s but I worked my way up to a couple of 1.3 CVH powered ones by the end of that. Then onto a 1.3 Mk2 Astra van, then a string of 2 litre Carltons, with a couple of 2.3D ones (one turbo, one not) thrown in for good measure. Now I'm onto five cylinders with the Audi! I'm getting there slowly.

I suppose I did have one 6-pot car (Diesel Omega).

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

:) It's more fun when we have another couple of Valley girls staying with us, it underlines that it really is a different language. Still, with one in three words being "like" at least I can follow one third of the conversation! :)

You're probably right there, however, every other car, SUV or pickup in the "little" town in the Central Valley desert where my wife greyup has a big V8 in there. You can get V6s, V10s and V12s, but the V8 is a bit like the 2.0 fleet car in the UK . . . everybody seems to have one.

Nice! ;)

Meanwhile, the closest we could have reasonably been able to afford was something V6 or inline 6, but we decided that it wasn't worth trying to get nearly there, we may as well just put up with an inline four . . . :(

Reply to
DervMan

But did it *really* have to be an OHV Ford inline four? :-)))

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

never forget the i5s, much better than the i4s.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I did.

It made no mention of country-lane handling, fuel economy, etc. etc. If it was relevent, I wouldn't have snipped it !

Reply to
Nom