And after the first week, I like it.

*ding*

And with a mate in another car so you can walk away having thrown the keys at them.

Exactly what I did with that Vectra, although I did have the fact it was on finance ergo the finance company soon took notice when I said I wasn't paying for it, and the invoice stated it was a different model to what it actually was.

Reply to
JackH

It's the only good thing about buying on finance - no matter how smart and clever and big the dealer thinks he is, when the banks start ringing him...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well, the thing is, I struck it on the card (got them to drop the surcharge), while waiting for the GF to get cash from her mum. Card to be paid in full before statement date so no interest to pay. That gives the card company joint liability for faults doesn't it.

Hmm, how does that sit?

Reply to
Elder

Dump it on his forecourt and instigate a chargeback if it was a credit, rather than debit, card.

Reply to
SteveH

Oh it was.

Reply to
Elder

I'm going to be business like about it, but take a letter in writing stating my position that if on Friday morning on my way to work, the binding brake or vibration, or paint chips are not to my satisfaction, I will rejecting the car on Saturday morning. The only reason I didn't return it earlier is because they told me, Thursday afternoon was the first time they could book it in.

Now if they think they can diagnose both the braking, the vibration (if not directly related), repair it, and repair the paint, in the roughly 4 hours they are going to have it, I'm going to be surprised.

Reply to
Elder

Where did you buy it from? You can MSN or e-mither me with it if you don't want it public just now, it's just that I know a few people in the trade - if I know the bloke you bought it from there may be a chance a word in the right ear may put it right.

Especially if it was on Winwick Road.

Reply to
Pete M

I don't think it's private, but the company name is the surname of an ex Arsenal and England footballer, first name Graham and the surname has 3 letters....

Reply to
SteveH

Well, don't say it's a binding brake because you're not 100% sure on that, it could be the diff or anything. Just put the symptoms (wasn't there an engine issue too?) and leave it at that. Then leave them that letter, then the next day, the keys and the car and phone your credit card company to get a chargeback going on. That'll make them at least take notice, and in my experience, which was admittedly only for just shy of a grand, the credit card company were 100% on my side, and were only dropping it if I told them too, otherwise it was money back me (well, not back because I hadn't paid it off at this point).

I don't know who you're with but this was with Barclaycard and dunno if it makes a difference what card you have but mines a Gold card and there is a big bit about charge back and payment protection in the terms, which I actually got an annual copy of last week. Also in the bullet points of features/benefits there was something about payment protection so I dunno if it's something special that I have. I should of read them, or glanced through I guess.

Still, I only signed up [1] 6 or 7 years or so ago so I could get a free football 'cos it was sunny out and we were all a bit bored on the grass with our beers and no kick about. On the upside though, we were getting 'table' (grass patch) service cos the barmaid was a friend.

Just as a matter of interest - does anyone know much about credit and stuff? If I buy a £2-3k laptop, and put it on buy now pay 2010, 0% finance there after, and if I kick off before 2010, who is liable for the debt? What if they can't afford it? I'm not actually paying for it like this you understand, cos I'd feel bad planning to die before next year just to skip paying a few quid, I just wondered what would happen.

[1] When I signed up, I got the normal blue Barclaycard, it didn't change to Gold for a year or two after a phonecall from them, on a Saturday, at half 10 in the morning when I was at uni. I'd only stopped drinking and come home 4 hours previously, so you can imagine my surprise when it arrived in the post.
Reply to
DanB

It is *very* nice... especially now I've sorted the niggles ;-)

Trouble is, it's officially 'her' car and I don't get to drive it as much as I'd like to

Reply to
PCPaul

AYE!

I still don't like Renaults, though.

Reply to
PCPaul

And the website has been posted somewhere in this thread, or one of the others, I know this 'cos I clicked it and it was a really crap website, like uber mega crap.

Reply to
DanB

I imagine it was a credit card - don't know any debit cards that you need to pay off in full before the statement date to avoid paying interest.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

No problem about who I bought it from. It came from Rix. Vamp posted a link before to another of their IS's thinking it was the one I bought.

Apart from maybe being a bit sharp with a dumb newbie, and not playing nice in time of credit crunch and bending over the bonnet they did now wrong unless he new it was a real lemon. We will have to see how they get on with sorting it. It was Norman I dealt with. Older bloke.

Reply to
carl.robson

niggles i lived with for 3 years lol

Reply to
Vamp

Ooops.

Will Elder be 'swimming with the fishes' tomorrow evening?

Prace bets now!

Reply to
SteveH

I don't get it...? Sail away? Surely that means leave rather than "be killed and thrown in the sea"...?

Reply to
DanB

Paul had them sorted after one afternoon heh.

Reply to
DanB

Clive George

You know, I had it in my head the godfather theme. but it isn't listed on wikipedia.

Reply to
Elder