AWD cars

OK you lot here's a challenge, inspired by being stuck in traffic behind a Volvo XC70 yesterday

Let's identify all the cars that have 4x4 drivetrains but aren't big, tall soft/off-roaders...

I've come up with

Volvo XC90 (obviously) and that "hot" one that was supposed to beat the M3 (yea right) Audi Allroad (by the same token) Various other Audi Quattros Imprezas Mitsubishi EVO / Legnum/Galant VR4 Lancia Integrale / Alfa Q4/Crosswagon Hot Golfs with Haldex Randomly Haldex-equipped Skoda Octavias Even more random Suzuki Swift 4x4 Daihatsu Avantazo XBMYTi (or something like that) Skyline GT-R Sapphire/Escort Cosworth/PeteM's estate thing Fiat Panda 4x4 Suzuki Ignis Sport (I think they were AWD)

Reply to
fishman

fishman gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

ITYM XC70 - but there's a whole stack of S/V70s with AWD, not just the turbos & tall ones.

There's been 4wd versions of all sorts of "cooking" tin - most manufacturers have done 'em at various stages. We've just not seen many of 'em in the UK.

In the US, you can buy 4x4 versions of BMW 3/5-series, Merc C/E/S-class, Lexus IS/ES/GS/LS, for starters...

Reply to
Adrian

VW Golf, Passat, Phaeton, Sharan All Subarus - Impreza, Forester, Legacy, Justy etc. Alfa Sportwagon Lamborghinis of various kinds

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes I did write that in the intro text and then put 90 in the list as a typo!! Duhhh

Yeah just been researching - found a Passat diesel AWD too.

I remember Elder posting some W124 with AWD on here now you mention it.

Reply to
fishman

"fishman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@s21g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...

Toyota Celica GT4 Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Bentley Continental GT / Flying Spur

Reply to
Grant

Cavalier Turbo Calibra Turbo Nissan Sunny GTi-R Peugeot MI16x4 Subaru Justy In fact, almost everything Subaru?

Reply to
Abo

Dunno about now, but they've been about over here before, haven't they? Merc 4Matic systems, BMW xxxiX models. Well, seen them on E class/5 series - dunno about the rest though.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

VW have done loads of 4wd road stuff over the years (and the Golf Country when they went mad).

Reply to
Depresion

Wasn't one of the Interceptors underpinned by some Massey Ferguson AWD affair? The big 7-litre thingummybob?

Reply to
Phileaus Leaius

Spyker somthing or other (the 8.7L one) Jag X Type Jensen FF

The older Syncro VWs (Golf, Passat, T25 but that is a bit off roadish) as well as the modern 4motion Haldex based cars.

Reply to
Depresion

Phileaus Leaius gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The Interceptor used the same Chrysler v8 as the FF - which had Ferguson (not Massey-) 4wd, and Dunlop Maxaret ABS.

Reply to
Adrian

Alfa 33 P4.

Reply to
SteveH

Ford Sierra XR4x4 Ford Escort RS2000 Volvo 850 T5 Citroen BX GTi 4x4 (maybe a TRS too?) and I think there was an AX 4x4 as well although I could be making that up Renault 21 Turbo (Quad-something IIRC) Mazda 323 Turbo Mazda 6 MPS

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

"Carl Gibbs" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

BX 4x4 was available as 19GTi or 19TRi estate over here, but mainland Europe had diesels as well. Pile of shit - they stripped the input shaft to the transfer box, and so many bits are different to the 4x2 versions that they're almost unmaintainable now.

AX was available 4x4 in Europe, so was C15 and Berlingo (both available as 4-seat, as well as vans) - but as aftermarket conversions from Dangel. Then there was the twin-engined 2cv, and the single engined 4x4 Mehari.

Let's face it - there's been a shitload of "normal cars" available with

4wd. Listing 'em all is going to be the longest & most tedious thread ever.
Reply to
Adrian

Lots of Porkers. (I don't know enough about Porsche to list all of them and the limited edition runs)

BMW 325Xi

Is this list limited to UK market cars only?

Reply to
Peter Hill

porsche 911 (996 or 997 ones of them) mondeo had a 4x4 version i think? sierra of course pug 405 i think had a 4x4 version skyline and the stagea (skyline estate)

Reply to
Vamp

Toyota Celica GT4 (all versions) Toyota Caldina GT4 Toyota Previa/Estima/Estima Lucida/Estima Emina Toyota Corolla RunX Diahatsu Cuore (I think). Mazda Bongo Friendie

Reply to
Elder

Heh, Renault 21 Quadra. 175bhp. I tried to 'race' one in a 1.0L Nova (inspired by a 'win' I had against a Williams Clio through the mean streets of Stockton), and ended up spinning into the path of a bus (which I just missed) on a damp roundabout.

Reply to
Abo

isn't the mitsubishi GTO/3000GT AWD as well? there is a lot of jap stuff that's awd most are jap market only but that's cos there's a few moutains and it snows quite a bit i guess.

Reply to
Vamp