Fiat Sceicento Sporting

They're slower than they are quicker in a straight line.

Reply to
DervMan

It _feels_ fast, but it's not.

Sorry, but 55 PS and 1.1 litres, plus just over 700 kg, is _not_ fast.

200 PS, 2.0 litres, 900 kg might be.
Reply to
DervMan

Please ignore the helpful advice on making one faster, it doesn't work, it's still slow in a straight line...

...but that's not the point. The Cinquecento (and Siecento) are all about the package. They have a great buzzy little FIRE engine and a nice grippy feeling. In isolation or compared to most of their peers, they _feel_ quicker.

For the young, the Italian (probably) or those seeking good value, it works.

I like them. Would I have another Siecento or Cinquecento? I prefer the Cinquecento - Fiat rubbed out the hard edges of the Cinq when they made the Sie, the ride is a bit softer and it generaly doesn't work quite as well.

Annoyingly for Fiat, Ford produced a sub-B car that trades punches in the performance stakes, goes around corners even better, uses more petrol, has a longer service interval and sits in a cheaper insurance bracket - oh and sold stacks more.

Reply to
DervMan

If you want a fun small car like that, try a VW Lupo GTI or the Seat Arosa, much more fun, better engines, decent specs.

This review made me laugh :)

"Only the 1.1 petrol is still on sale. Fun round town, stretched out of it and overtaking needs forward planning and a note from your mum. Avoid the Citymatic gearbox"

Reminds me of Alan Partridge when he phones his wife, and tells her about her husband Renault Megane review in top gear magazine "Over taking national express coaches can be a long a drawn out affair" :)

Reply to
Ronny

Oh I don't know, driving one is so frustrating that anger quickly develops.

Oops, you misspelt "Nasty little tinbox with nasty little engine". How embarrassing.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Was this review authored by Peter Macmillan? See uk.rec.driving on the google groups archives if you don't get it.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

isnt that the stilo?

Reply to
Theo

Don't know tbh, it was on Parkers.

Reply to
Ronny

Lupo GTi is very expensive to buy and insure though!! Arosa not as fast but the diesel one test drove when looking for csrs for my sister had some punch

Reply to
fishman

Pfft

dont knock them till you've abused one

I still steal the wifes punto sporting for a bit of back road abuse and leave the Cav at home 1242cc's a god awful 85 brake (well a few tweaks so more like 95) and typical squat fiat handling great fun i'm just waiting on her breaking it so i can steal the engine and drop it into a Cinq. Now that would be interesting :)

Reply to
Rob

It's very slightly more sporty than the non sporting. Bit like I'm very slightly more sporting than Pavarotti.

Reply to
Depresion

ZVH. What a mad idea that was. You've got a Zetec engine, a reasonably good, rev-happy engine, so you take the 16 valve head off it, and put a CVH head, known for lots of problems like valve guides going, etc etc. Okaaay.

Seriously, what *is* the attraction in doing that? Is it the extra low-down torque that the 8-valve CVH head provides? Is it worth the sacrifice?

Having said all that, I've had a couple of 1.3CVH Escorts, and I was always quite impressed with them, compared to the 1.3 OHVs I'd previously had - they had hydraulic tappets for one, and did seem a lot more modern, smooth and refined. In comparison, like.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That be being the Rangie then? It is a V8, isn't it?

Sorry for asking (I know these questions are frowned upon), but what sort of mpg are you getting from it, on average?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

700kg? How id it that heavy when my polo is only 830kg and not made from kitchen foil?
Reply to
Depresion

I figured it was something to do with the ease of turboing - but i don't know. Dervy probly does though....

Reply to
DanTXD

Its a right ballache of a job to make it fit iirc.

Reply to
DanTXD

Indeed it is.

Most go down the 1.2 8v route with a cam, induction kit and free-flow exhaust for roughly the same power.

Reply to
SteveH

*snort*
Reply to
SteveH

That was also more expensive, less rust resistant, had a nasty engine designed in the 1950s and looked like it was styled by a 5 year old. The Ka may (allegedly) corner better, but it's just not fun. It's also loads bigger on the outside but, for some unfathomable reason, smaller on the inside.

Think that just about covers it.

Reply to
SteveH

So let me get this right, you're not chopping in the Passat for a new Ka then?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan