Lexus LS400? Luxury everyday or money pit waiting to happen?

Seeing as how everyones brand of choice is seeming to be the first answer I am going to suggest a Subaru Legacy/Liberty turbo wagon. Comfy, luxury, practical, fast and economical. And for your back I suggest getting into a gym and exercising it and dropping all the weight you can.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

He gets to wear the trousers. She tells him which ones.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I know it's academic now, but a thought came to me - E300TD - the first of the uber-diesels to hit the UK. Build quality wasn't the best and they're a bit bug-eyed but they're a better drive than a lexus if not as quiet and smooth, and you'll get 30mpg all day, 40mpg + on a motorway run. Early miley ones are in the 3k region.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I did think about a legacy saloon/sedan. They tend to be, like Volvos cheaper than the Wagon version, because people want the Wagon.

It is sciatica that I have. Once it has happened you can never get away with it. 90% of the time it will be fine, but then someone might call me and I twist to see who it is and boom world of hurt. Excersise helps it. And one of the most comfortable positions is driving, when I doing something. Even just flexing the throttle pedal and working the hand controls is enough. But once you hit a jam and there is regular movement needed, that is when it starts to hurt. It is fine now, but it could go at any time and it is worse in the winter because I get twinges when things are colder, but no more or less likley to happen than in summer.

Reply to
Elder

I'll look them up and see. When the time comes I want something "better" so it might still be worth while to lay the ground.

Reply to
Elder

You'd be looking at a very early example which will be rotting like a

1970s Fiat 124....
Reply to
SteveH

Just did a quote on confused.com for shit and giggles. Came out best at =A3377.39 fully comp with 5 years no claims (what I would= =20 have when I at renewal) without a mileage limit. I guess old fart and old fart car has it benefits. And there have been a few claims of 30MPG+ by long term owners for=20 mainly motorway runs, which is what I will be doing.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:EA80-Kamaki

Reply to
Elder

Funny you should mention that. The Octavia has lumber adjustment, and while it can help alter the contact/support points, it does feel too high. Just on my bottom rib, wind it in and you feel unsupported, wind it out and it can feel like that is the only contact with the seat. There doesn't appear to be a right position.

Reply to
Elder

They are another car that you can buy for monkey nuts with a full factory history, all the toys and an engine that is just about loosened up enough to get some work done. They reckon the first 250k is the hardest.

Reply to
Elder

Yup.

I'm not bothered. She's the main earner. I have a hobby job.

I like life. Life is good.

Reply to
DervMan

Seat belt pre-tensioners?

It just dropped off, did it? :-p

Note how the donk survived in each case!

Reply to
DervMan

Pussy.

Reply to
SteveH

Heh, funny you should mention that, the lumbar adjustment is just about right for me - maybe you should grow a bit taller??

Reply to
conkersack

Sounds like an ideal hobby job to me.

Reply to
conkersack

The golf is too small (remember, I have a big golf MK4 with a MK3 engine but newer injection/ignition). I like the 75 but as it is old italian they worry me. I know they aren't as bad as Italian reputation would suggest, but they are getting on a bit.

Reply to
Elder

Like I told my ex boss, the drive too and from work was the most enjoyable part of the working day, and that was a quick straight commute up the liverpool/manchester stretch of the M62.

It doesn't matter where I drive, I just love to drive.

Reply to
Elder

I'm 6'2". Much taller and I would need a sunroof.

Reply to
Elder

What's the name for somebody who sold his driving soul to the VAG Passat demon?

Reply to
DervMan

Great car, and 2 Alfas on the drive at the same time.

What's your excuse?

Reply to
SteveH

Blimey. That's not an encouraging sign for your career then...

Sitting in a queue of traffic on the motorway isn't fun.

Shoot, driving along the motorway isn't really fun, either.

Track days are inexpensive. Hiring something for a track day isn't realistic.

Reply to
DervMan